Fearful and Defensive

(A/N: I don't own the pic)

~Keigo's pov~

After Nara yelled at me for clearly lying to her, I felt absolutely terrible. Despite how young she was, she's observant, and I also forgot she could read my intentions through my shadow. I don't doubt that's what she did and how she immediately knew something was wrong, but I was an idiot and lied to her anyway. Really, I didn't want to, but I just wanted to protect her.

When Endeavor called, he told me the police contacted him and Best Jeanist. There was a sighting of the League at an abandoned building in the mountain foothills of Yamagata, and even though the lead wasn't very good, Endeavor wanted us to check it out anyway. He wanted me to scope out the place first with my feathers, and since no one was sure if the villains were even still there or not, Endeavor didn't want to call for backup.

Even though she looked a bit worried for me, Nara was cold and calculating. She was clearly testing me to see what I would tell her, and I was dumb enough to lie to her face. She got so pissed off, but I could also see how much I hurt her for lying to her. I couldn't get her involved, though - we were dealing with a possible encounter with the League of Villains after a week of not getting any sightings of them. She was still getting her strength back from nearly killing herself and being in a coma. If I had told her the truth, Nara would have insisted on coming even though she wasn't strong enough to fight. Even then, I didn't trust that she wouldn't hesitated to fight the League. She's already expressed that she still cares about them, and they've already told us that they will force her back on their side one way or another. If she hesitates, she might get captured, and I'll tear through the whole country just to find and save her.

After yelling at me, though, I seriously regretted lying to Nara. She wouldn't even let me try and tell her the truth afterwards, and I felt like an asshole when I saw that I made her cry. Nara even called me by my hero name, not my first name or the new nickname she gave me - Birdie. It was cute, and I loved the way she had called me that when she was teasing me. Now I don't know if she'll ever call me that or even want to see me again. When I had left the dorms, I saw her leaving too, and she just glared at me in anger and hurt before running off. I still noticed that she was about to cry again, and even though I wanted to go to her, hold her to me and apologize profusely, I knew she would've probably kicked my ass, and I had to go to the mission site before Endeavor came and joined her.

So here I was, standing hidden behind the trees with Endeavor and Best Jeanist as the sun set. There were storm clouds coming in, so we had to get this done before Endeavor and I are hindered by the rain. Best Jeanist nodded to me, and I stealthily sent out some of my feathers into the building. I couldn't sense anything, though, making me frown in confusion and frustration. "There's no one here. This was probably a false sighting." I told them. If I had known this, I would have just stayed at U.A. with Nara. "We still have to check and see if there's any evidence left behind." Best Jeanist reminded me. I sighed and nodded before following them into the building.

We all split off to search through all the rooms. I didn't find anything at first, but once I reached the back room, I paused. As I noticed it had started raining outside, I saw a dead bird by the back wall. I went up to it and crouched down, touching the blood beneath its shredded form. The blood was still drying, meaning someone had just killed it, and I suddenly realized two things. One - the bird was killed the same way someone is by Shigaraki's Decay. Two - the bird was a raven. I felt my blood run cold as I quickly stood and stumbled away, lightning flashing from outside the building. I had the worst feeling that the League was targeting Nara, that they wanted her killed, and she was in danger. I bolted out of the room as the thunder boomed outside, shaking the unstable building and vibrating throughout my body.