Book 4: The Spirit of Competition

Earth. Fire. Air. Water. Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world.

Love is in the air! Since Avatar Korra has arrived in Republic City she's only had eyes for one fellow: Mako. While the right hand man has his own feelings towards the Avatar but hides it well. The feeling seemed mutual until a fateful accident intervened. Now Mako's affections have fallen right into the arms of the beautiful Asami. Will love prove to be Ryu and Korra's most formidable foe yet? And will Ryu be able to confess his feelings towards his best friend?
===========================

The episode opens up to show a slowly zooming in aerial shot of the the Pro-bending Arena as it snows. Cut to a frontal, close-up shot of a determined looking Korra handling a water blob. The camera moves back as she splits it in two, and rapidly launches each smaller water bullet in a different direction. Cut to a side-shot of Bolin, who raises his right arm in front of him, an earth disk following the motion and hovering in front of his face.

As the water blob Korra launched at him strikes the disk, he is shoved slightly backward by the impact. Cut to a frontal shot of Mako, who moves back and twists around, vaporizing the incoming blob with a fire arc. He immediately retaliates with two fire punches.

Cut to an overview shot of the entire gym and the practicing Fire Ferrets. Bolin's earth disk is pulverized by Mako's fire attack. Korra aims another rapid water blast at Mako, who jumps over it, while Bolin launches an earth disk at Korra, forcing her to shield herself with water from a nearby tank.

Mako fires a blast at each of his team mates, which both of them block with their respective element. A second fire blast hits Bolin square in the stomach. Cut to a frontal shot as he is flung backward. As he is falling down, he raises and launches a last earth disk.

Cut to Korra who directs a water blob away from her, but is knocked back with a grunt as the earth disk plants itself in her stomach. Cut to Mako as Korra's water attack hits him straight in the face, flinging him to the ground several meters from where he was standing. Switch back to the overview shot of the gym as they all sit up and laugh. Cut to a frontal shot of Mako as he stands up and takes off his helmet, resting his left hand on his hip.

Mako: It's been great having you at so many back-to-back practices, Korra.

Korra: Feels good to be back, although Tarrlok isn't too happy about me and Ryu's leave of absence.

Bolin: Hey, you joined the Fire Ferrets before you joined his task force.

Mako: Okay, come on, team huddle time!

The team huddles up, smiling at each other.

Mako: It's our first match of the tournament tonight. I know the three of us haven't been a team for very long, but even so, the Fire Ferrets have never been this good. Are we ready?

Korra/Bolin: We're ready!

Asami and Ryu walk in the practice room with the Future Industries sponsored gear.

Asami: Not quite, you'll need these.

She and Ryu hold up a shirt with the Future Industries logo on it.

Ryu: Merch baby!

Mako: Hey, Asami.

Asami: Good morning, sweetie.

Korra Korra looks annoyed and Ryu tries not to laugh at this.

Mako: These new uniforms look great!

Asami: You look great, champ!