Book 7: Enemy at the Gates

Earth. Fire. Air. Water. Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world.

After three years, Kuvira has finally united the former Earth Kingdom states under her new Earth Empire banner! But one holdout remains: Zaofu. During that same time, Asami rebuilt the company her father created and helped redesign the city's infrastructure. And, most recently, the airbender kids found the Avatar and Ryu! Korra rid herself of the residual poison in her body and is ready to return to action!
===============================

The scene opens with a nature shot, a view of a cliffside punctuated by a narrow cleft. Through the crack, a flock of birds scatters as, in the next moment, a massive Earth Empire airship appears through the void in the rock, cutting through the air close to the ground. Cut to a wide shot, showing the closed parts of Zaofu sitting in the foreground at the head of its narrow valley; Kuvira's airships, in the distance, round the bend in the valley and steer toward the city.

As the ships advance on the city, the shot cuts to a guard outpost, where one of the guards, seeing the force bearing down on them, whirls around and rushes to a radio, picking it up and speaking urgently.

Guard: We have an emergency!

Shot cuts to Suyin, riding on a train; the frame is focused on her face, facing away from the front window as the train rushes through a tunnel. The shot zooms out, revealing that her twin sons are with her; Baatar walks up to her, grasping a bar for balance as he speaks.

Baatar: I'll contact President Raiko. He'll send the United Forces.

The train emerges into brilliant sunlight as it exits the tunnel. The four of them look into the distance; Kuvira's forces are massed in the valley, both airships and ground troop.

Suyin: Call whomever you want, but they'll never make it in time. Kuvira's already here and she brought her entire army.

After a longer shot of the whole of the force, the shot cuts to the train. Baatar Jr., standing in front of the map of the Earth Kingdom, fixes his cufflinks before turning and joining Kuvira at the window. They look out at the world flying by as the train moves through the countryside.

Baatar Jr.: By this time tomorrow, my mother will have signed the treaty, and the Earth Empire will finally be united.

Kuvira: Don't get ahead of yourself. Securing your hometown won't be like every other city.

She walks over to the map, leaving Baatar Jr. at the window. He turns toward Kuvira, pausing briefly before he speaks bitterly.

Baatar Jr.: Zaofu stopped being my home long ago. I'm ready to take it by force.

Kuvira: No. The eyes of the world are on us now. We must do this right. That's why we need Bolin.

Baatar Jr.: Do you really think we can rely on him?

Kuvira: Su trusts him. She'll listen to him.

The scene cuts to a wide shot of Pepper flying through the air. As Jinora speaks, it zooms, showing Jinora piloting the bison while Ryu, Korra, Ikki, and Meelo sit back in the saddle. The scene zooms in on Ryu looking at the perfectly drawn picture.

Ryu: Wow. You got my nose right. Maybe you can teach these poster artist a thing or two Meelo.

Jinora: Are you sure we should be going to Zaofu? Dad wanted us to bring you two back to Republic City.