Book 7: The Battle of Zaofu

Earth. Fire. Air. Water. Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world.

Kuvira threatens to take Zaofu by force! After tensions flared between Su Beifong and her former protégé, Ryu and Korra brokered a truce, but it was too late. Su and her sons were already on their way to put an end to Kuvira. Meanwhile, Bolin and Varrick learned of Kuvira's true tyrannical intent and deserted her army, but they were captured and betrayed by Zhu Li. Now they're being held against their will!
===============================

Night has fallen over Kuvira's encampment outside Zaofu as the scene opens. A light breeze ruffles the flag over Kuvira's quarters and the small building is surrounded by mecha tanks. As the scene cuts to the side of the valley, the siege force and Zaofu itself can both be seen in the background. A lone guard patrols a path in the darkness. As he sweeps the flashlight beam left and right, a piece of metal suddenly flies from the brush on his left and covers his mouth. He staggers, unable to yell, the flashlight tumbling away from his hand through the air.

A metal whip cracks out at him, fastening around his ankles and dragging him into the brush. The frame pans up to show three cables fastening themselves to a tree branch above; three figures, dressed in black, rise into the tree, the cables in their hands. Suyin, Wei, and Wing come to rest on the same branch, staring down at the encampment below. Wing, on Suyin's right, turns to speak in a hushed tone to his mother.

Wing: Are you sure this will work? Even without Kuvira, they could still crush us.

Suyin: Most of this army has been forced into service by Kuvira. If we take her out, they'll have no reason to fight. Tonight-

She raises a black hood over her head, covering everything except her eyes.

Suyin: we end her reign of terror.

Cut to within the encampment; a mecha tank on patrol marches past a tank as the view pans down, revealing that Suyin and her sons are hiding underneath it. They quickly scramble out from their hiding place and take off through the maze of tanks. As a beam of light from a watchtower sweeps past, they take cover behind another tank. When the beam has passed, they advance, finally coming to a stop behind a few stacks of boxes very near Kuvira's hut.

As another mecha tank passes, Suyin peers through a crack between boxes at the hut, still guarded by mecha tanks. Stepping back, she stomps forcefully on the ground, using seismic waves to see past the obstacles in front of them. The waves radiate outward, traveling past the mecha tanks and throughout the hut, where Kuvira is asleep in bed. Cut back to Suyin and the twins.

Suyin: She's alone in there. Now's our chance!

The three simultaneously bend the earth beneath themselves, twisting on the spot and disappearing into holes below them. As the scene cuts to the interior of the hut, three holes open in the thin metal of the floor and the cloaked figures rise through them. Bending cables from her hands, Suyin, in the middle, wraps the sleeping figure tightly with them, before rolling her over to look at her face. The terrified face, however, does not belong to Kuvira.

Zhu Li: Don't hurt me!

Suyin: Zhu Li?

Suddenly, a siren blares outside; the central support pole withdraws into the ground as the metal sides of the tent fall away and spotlights shine down on the three figures as soldiers and mecha tanks surround them. Kuvira steps from between two mecha tanks.