Kili and Raewyn headcanons

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN ON TUMBLR. POST!FIC HEADCANONS.

Tw: Mention of biting nails to the point of bleeding? Maybe slight hint of PTSD, but if it wasn't for the mention, you wouldn't see it.

this is canon because i said so

———

- Kili is the furnace. Raewyn is the one who is always cold. She'll never admit it, but mountain temperatures are freezing, and as someone who never did adjust to the climate, she has trouble letting the cold wash over her. Kili knows.

- Kili saves Raewyn a seat every single time. He hasn't forgotten it once. When he finds a place to sit, he makes sure it's a spot with two seats beside each other, or he won't take them. Never across from each other - when he gets nervous during meetings, he tends to bite his nails to the point of bleeding. Raewyn grabs his hand to prevent him from doing that. Chairs on opposite side of each other don't work.

- Raewyn visits Bilbo at least twice a year. Regardless of how much his presence is needed, Kili always joins.

- Kili made Farris a tiny bracelet so he can spot her in public. Barn owls don't really visit the mountain, but he confused her for another owl once. He won't let it happen again.

- Raewyn and Kili have competitions all the time. For whatever reason they can find; who can drink the most, who can run the fastest, who can fit the most gems in their hands, who can braid their hair the quickest. The last one is actually hilarious, because they braid each other's hair, so it is a very intense, competitive morning, toying with the stupid tiny hairs of their significant other.

- Raewyn still squeezes Kili's hand three times without thinking about it. Kili blushes every single time. Raewyn doesn't know. Fili does, but refuses to say anything about it.

- There is an unspoken rule in the mountain that Thorin and Raewyn are not to be left alone in a room. Regardless of their reluctant acceptance of each other, no dwarf dares to take the chance either of them will lash out again.

- Balin actually has a tiny notebook about things not to discuss in front of them and what to do when it does happen. It started out as a joke. He uses it daily now.

- Kili never stopped calling Raewyn 'Dragonslayer'. He never will.

- Raewyn sleeps everywhere. Literally everywhere. She didn't expect to adjust to settling down this easily, but within a week of living inside the mountain, she has fallen asleep in the forges, libraries, kitchen, balconies, and even the main hall. When she's alone, Fili and Kili take turns each hour to check on her.

- Raewyn and Fili have this long running joke of hiding Kili's stuff. Not the things he really needs, but the things he does notice when they are missing, such as a specific tunic, a book he had been reading a night prior, his pillow, shoes. He always finds them back in the weirdest places. He suspects Fili. Raewyn has yet to be caught.

- Kili does a spider check every night. Raewyn once woke up to one crawling on her pillow and refused to sleep for days after that. Eventually, it faded, but Kili always makes sure to check the room before Raewyn enters, just to be sure. Raewyn has caught him doing it once or twice, but she doesn't know it's a regular thing he does. There has been no spider since.

- Kili braids Raewyn's hair each morning. Of course, it is a customary dwarves courting thing to do, but it lays much deeper for him. It calms him. He never wanted to braid his own hair, because it tugged on his head, but when he braided Raewyn's hair for the first time, he knew that he wanted to do it every morning. In return, Raewyn helps him as well.

- Raewyn learned to play the harp. She had wanted to learn it since she was a little kid, but she abandoned the idea after the orc raid. When Kili played for her on his fiddle once, she knew she wanted to learn to play an instrument as well.

- Raewyn wears the ring Kili gave her every day. She has never been seen without it.

- Raewyn calls Kili 'Azyungel'. She wanted to settle on Ki, but Fili already calls him that, and she doesn't want to share a nickname. Kili calls her every single name in the dictionary, but refuses to use Khuzdul terms. It makes it feel so much more  official, and it makes him stutter every time. He hates it. It's either Rae, Dragonslayer, or something insanely stupid.

- Kili cannot go to bed without a goodnight kiss. Raewyn forgot once, and he laid awake all night wondering what he did wrong.

- Raewyn refuses to come into the treasure room. She dislikes the memories it held from months prior. The gold actually sickens her, and she can't be around it for too long. If she has to pass through there, Kili makes sure there is always someone with her in case something happens.

- Raewyn and Kili traveled to the forests of Ered Luin once, to show Kili her ancestors' home. During the visit, she began to realise that her family wasn't going to come back, and decided to simply settle for Kili as long as she could. She hasn't returned since.

- Raewyn has absolutely no hatred against dresses, but she'll only wear those which Lady Dís hand picked. At first, it was simply to gain her approval (she'll never confess to this), but she soon figured out that Dís has an immaculate clothing taste. Every other dress is garbage now.

- Raewyn loves dragons. Her and Kili's room is filled with little statues of the creatures, paintings of the legends and myths and little gems they used to guard. Raewyn's eventual marriage bead is engraved with a tiny dragon.

- Kili always holds his hand out behind Raewyn's back. In case she halts or steps back, it is her reminder Kili is still there. And Kili is paranoid and fears she will fall over somehow. Constantly. He stands behind her when she walks up the stairs, and before her when she descends the stairs.

- Raewyn loves to be spooned. She found out when Kili tried once. She'll never verbally ask for it, but she'll always lay in bed and reach for his arms behind her. Kili gets unnaturally hot every time she does this, but cools down after a short while.

- Raewyn loves hugs. Don't get me wrong, Kili does as well, but Raewyn makes a whole deal out of it. Kili's arms are the most comfortable things in the world, and his smell has grown so familiar; if she can't smell it for longer than ten minutes, she'll lose it.