Chapter XX

A long promised insight on Kili's desperate attempts on trying to show Raewyn how much he cares

Tw: Mentions of blood, injury, poisoning etc. Description of poisoned blood. Mentions of death etc. Really little warnings for once

———

———

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

———

Now covered in warm blankets and fresh clothes, the company sat in Bard's living room, their clothes drying by the fire. Raewyn sat on the floor in the corner, her back against Kili's legs, who was on the chair behind her. The two were most shielded from the dwarves, giving the ranger the possibility to tend to her leg again.

Sigrid had been kind enough to offer her a dress, instead of a pair of trousers, so that the fabric would not scratch the wound as much as it otherwise would. And though the ends of the dress were visibly taller on the Asha than on the human girl, Raewyn had been grateful nonetheless. She had already asked the daughter to find some Kingsfoil, and - much to her luck - the girl had returned within a matter of minutes.

Tilda was busying herself with handing out blankets to the company, while Sigrid stood beside the two in the corner, her back to them as she observed the dwarves, making sure they would not get suspicious towards Raewyn. The ranger had made it obvious she did not want anyone else to find out about her current state, and Sigrid knew better than to disobey her orders. However they had been the guests, the girl could not deny the help Raewyn needed.

"It may not be the best fit, but it'll keep you warm." Raewyn heard Bard speak to the company.

"Thank you very much." Bilbo thanked quietly, relishing in the warmth the blanket around him brought him.

"Kili, can you hand me those bandages?" Raewyn mumbled, her hands occupied with smearing the Kingsfoil over her wound. A sharp hiss escaped her mouth as her finger touched the nearly blackened skin around the cut.

"Rae?" Kili tried to offer, already leaning over.

"Please, Kili." She interrupted, waving off his concern, her eyes still on the blood gushing from her leg, even as she tried to stop it.

A hesitant hum came from the said dwarf, but he handed her the bandages all the same. In one swift movement, the ranger grabbed the fabric, before retreating to her leg, her used bandages serving as a towel to make sure nothing spilled onto the floor.

From behind them, it appeared as if Balin was telling a story again, thankfully engrossing all dwarves into the tale. Kili took one quick look around, making sure no one was looking at them, even though Sigrid had been a loyal lookout this far.

When his eyes landed back on the woman in front of him, his eyes widened. Where a mere wound had decorated her skin earlier, countless black veins began walking from it, a darkened color around the place of impact, her blood turning even darker than it had been before. A gasp escaped his mouth as his hands gently laid on her shoulders, alerting her of his presence once more.