Chapter XXV

Robbing Bard of his title and actions, but not really (ft. Raeli my beloved)

Tw: Mentions of battles and fights. Small mention of blood, Raewyn being badass. Smaug dies (big L, but you know the story). Bard is being robbed this chapter and I am so sorry for it. Mention of arrow-wounds. As Michael Scott would say; Parkour!

———

———

"Where are the cells?" Raewyn asked loudly, trying to drown out the noise of panic on the streets. As she and Kili ran through the crowd, they mindlessly pushed the shorter pair over with each passing step.

"They won't listen!" Kili tried to explain, gripping Raewyn's shoulder as to not lose her in the sheer chaos of men.

"There!" The ranger exclaimed, pointing towards a group of guards running out of a building in the distance. "That must be it."

The pair halted as men ran past them, ignoring the strange company. Between the building and them, stood a canal, crowded with boats and swimming folk. Raewyn's eyes scanned the waters, trying to find some sort of bridge nearby, but there appeared to be none. Or the people had already torn them down for more space for the barges. With a sigh, she turned to Kili, standing dangerously close to the edge of the docks.

"Follow my steps. And don't hesitate." She commanded, before jumping off of the streets, landing on a boat that was being loaded with people.

Shouts of disagreement and anger erupted from the barge, but she paid them no heed. Instead, she jumped from the boat, landing on top of a second, passing barge.

Kili stood still at the docks, weighing his options. But as he saw the oncoming crowd of more desperate Lakemen, he made up his mind, jumping towards the same barge before following Raewyn.

The ranger leaped over a floating piece of wood, before her foot reached a third barge. When she took a quick look around, she saw Kili, who was trying to watch his footing as he jumped. Knowing she had to reach the other side before jumping after him, she abandoned the boat, landing on the other side of the canal.

As she stood there, she saw Kili struggling with a Lakeman, who was yelling at the poor dwarf, pointing furiously towards the Asha on the docks. Kili, though visibly disturbed by the man's words, jumped over the boats, finally landing next to Raewyn.

"What did he say?" She askes, risking a smile as she resumed her path over the crowded streets.

"I will not repeat his words." Was all that the dwarf uttered, following the ranger as he took hold of her arm once more.

When they reached the door to - what the pair could only assume to be - the cells, both of them were left surprised with the revelation that it was left unlocked. With a mere shrug of her shoulders, Raewyn walked through the doors, making sure Kili was sure behind her.