Chapter VII

Conflict? Yeah, sure. Why not?

Tw: The dwarves being dicks/bullying Raewyn (it's for the story, I swear), Thorin being an asshat lmao what's new, Kili being embarrassed/bullied?, Raewyn being her own aggressive self, mentions of traumatic experiences, trash talking about Raewyn, more backstory?

———

———

Walking on a narrow path surrounded by rocks had been Gandalf's greatest idea yet. Bombur had gotten stuck at least four times and Bilbo had had the ultimate pleasure of getting his head bumped against the wall twice. Bofur had tried to lighten the mood by singing songs, but after only a few minutes, Thorin had told him to shut up. Kili had been quite persistent in carrying Raewyn every time she let out a hiss or a groan, yet the woman insisted the she had been taught how to walk and was adamant to use that skill without help.

Dwalin had not once stopped complaining about his hunger, and Ori - poor, little Ori - had tripped over loose rocks and pebbles so many times, that Raewyn had almost told Kili that, if he were to carry anyone, it would be Ori. She had decided to keep that thought to herself, although it did cause her to laugh a little, which confused both Fili and Kili.

"Gandalf, where are we?" Bilbo wondered aloud after a while. The hobbit had been walking in the middle of the company, beside Gandalf, who had been caught up by Dwalin and Thorin.

"You can feel it?" The wizard asked joyfully, looking down upon the smaller creature.

"Yes. It feels like, well.... like magic."

"That's exactly what it is. A very powerful magic." The pilgrim confided, now keeping his eyes back on the road.

Raewyn saw a few dwarves looking around all of the sudden, as if they were trying to find the magic. She scoffed at the thought, but she was quiet immediately after. They were right; there was some form of magic around them. And it was all too familiar to the woman. She had tried to outrun this place many times before, but after many years, somehow, Gandalf had managed to bring her back. How she had not noticed his behavior before, she could not say. She would have doubled back, had it not been for Thorin. Would she walk away now, he was never going to let her hear the end of it. He would claim her a deserter, a coward. So she kept walking, nay; stumbling, though now she was in a much fouler mood.

"There is light ahead!" Dwalin announced. After a long and tiring walk, the company finally reached the end of the tunnel. Raewyn saw the front of the group disappear into light, and she had almost thought she was hallucinating. It wasn't until she heard Thorin loudly complain to Gandalf that she knew everyone was alright.

When the entire group had exited the cave, the young woman nearly groaned at the place the had ended up. "Not again." She mumbled, trying to cancel out the sound of the dark-haired leader and the grey wizard arguing.