Chapter XIV

50% backstory accomplished

Tw: Finally some backstory? Mentions of treatments of wounds? Mentions of dirty bandages? Raewyn without armor? FLUFF FOR THE FIRST TIME????? Maybe a sprinkle of angst, but it's not as terrible as usual.

———

———

While the dwarves were busy packing their backs once more, taking the food with them that Beorn had so freely given them, Raewyn had decided to escape the comfort of the big cottage, sitting down in the beautiful garden outside, that had been surrounded by big, stone walls, providing the company with safety. The skin-changer had been kind enough to supply Raewyn with ointment and items to properly take care of her injuries. And though she was not quick to admit, it did do remarkably better than the treatment Oin had given her. She respected his help, of course, but she could not deny the fact that Beorn simply held those medicines she needed most.

Kili was right when he said that Farris had somehow followed them. Raewyn was glad to know that her companion was still safe, even after all the travels she herself had been through. She had feared losing the creature halfway through the Blue Mountains, but there the owl sat again; as if nothing ever happened to her. Farris was resting on one of the trees aside her owner, munching on the pieces of ham she managed to steal from the breakfast table.

"Kili." Raewyn mused, upon hearing a familiar padding across the green field. When she spoke her words, the walking ceased, as if the dwarf had frozen in place.

"How did you know it was me?" She heard, not far behind her.

"I recognized your footsteps."

"My footsteps?" Kili wondered, his voice now holding a slight teasing tone. Raewyn rolled her eyes at his words, turning her body around only slightly to face him, her eyes struggling to keep themselves onto him, yet she forced herself to keep his hold.

"Yes." She answered.

Kili smiled at the ranger, now looking towards the space on the bench beside her, which was currently vacated with dirty bandages and left over ointments. The minute he looked away, Raewyn uttered a quiet sigh, looking down at the grass again.

"Can I sit?" He questioned, gesturing towards the spot.

"Of course." Raewyn affirmed, nodding her head only slightly, picking up the bandages and laying them in her lap. The dwarf quickly took his seat beside the young woman, looking up at the owl, which had already scarved down the remainder of her food.

"I have a question." Kili bluntly stated, trying to regain Raewyn's attention. "But you don't have to answer it. Well, if you don't answer it, you are already answering it." He rambled on, his voice growing more silent with every word he spoke.