Chapter XXXV

Aragorn wishes he had Raewyn's ranger skills

Tw: Alluding to battle, description of a broken appearance (blood etc.), I was persuaded to let Raewyn live for at least one more chapter, general feels, bittersweet angst and self loathing but also somewhat fluff, shit's about to get real next chapter.

——

——

The rest of the travel up to Ravenhill was a silent one. All five dwarves had their guard up, scanning every mountain hill and frozen bush they passed. Silent looks were thrown towards Raewyn every so often, but she kept shaking her head, indicating that she had no idea where the orcs had run off to. The whole situation was unsettling to them, but they were set on finally terminating the orc that had caused for so much pain through the years. None were planning on backing off.

Once they arrived upon the top of the hill, the descended from their goats. Before Raewyn could even turn, a hand was offered towards her direction. She didn't have to follow the arm to know who it belonged to. Regardless, she accepted the hand, hopping off of the creature.

Silence was still among the company as they looked towards the ruins of Ravenhill, now surrounded by Azog's devices. Warm clouds of air escaped their mouths as they waded through the snow, the floor slippery to touch, had it not been for their secured shoes.

"They're here," Raewyn mumbled, looking around in suspicion. Subconsciously, the four other dwarves moved closer towards her, each one of them looking into a specific corner.

"I cannot see them," She went on. "But I can feel their eyes."

"Orcs don't lurk in shadows." Thorin uttered lowly as the group made their way to the centre of the ruins. Daring to take one look over her shoulder to face him, she gave him a solemn look.

"Makes you wonder what they have planned."

The wind blowing was the only sound heard after that, and the mere presence of it had become uncomfortable. The five were on edge with each step they took, circling around each other in anticipation. The air was cold to touch, and even through the armour, Raewyn could feel her feet starting to become affected by the weather. And that was when Dwalin decided to speak up.

"We should split up."

"No," The ranger immediately protested, facing the slightly taller dwarf. "Lest you have a death wish."

"So, we sit and wait?" He continued his protesting, his voice more angered than before. But Raewyn ignored the change, keeping her voice steady and her eyes on her surroundings.