Chapter XXXVIII

Kili might need a hug

Tw: oh boy. Light hypothermia, descriptions of drowning/running out of air, blood, battle, mention/description of injuries. CPR knowledge from books, Azog (ew), crying. No - sobbing. Life or death situation. So much angst. Descriptions of fatigue. I probably missed some. Let me know <3

———

———The second Azog and Raewyn fell down, there was dead silence of Ravenhill

———
The second Azog and Raewyn fell down, there was dead silence of Ravenhill. Thorin's eyes were frozen on the newly formed ice hole, desperately hoping for the ranger to come swimming up any moment. Bilbo had taken a running start towards the pair left on the ice, his breath in his throat as his heart beat at irregular speed. A ragged breath tore from Kili's throat as his eyes were glued to the newly surfaced water as well.

Farris had flown down the second her own disappeared from sight, her claws tapping over the ice as she tried to locate her. In desperation, Kili tore the chainmail coat around him off, throwing it on the floor as he neared the floor.

"What do you think you're doing?" Thorin stopped him, holding a hand in front of his nephew's chest. For once, Kili didn't seem to be bothered by it. Instead, he shoved the hand off of him, continuing his path.

"Kili!" The king called again, but he was ignored once more. Grasping the sleeves of his tunic, Thorin held onto his kin. "Don't. I can't lose you too."

Tears welled up in Kili's eyes as he stared into those of his uncle, swallowing the lump in his throat. "I have to," He started, his voice cracking slightly before looking back at the water. "I can't leave her there, Thorin. I'll never forgive myself."

"You'll die." The older dwarf argued. Whilst the water would be enough to drown anyone, he knew about the wounds littering his nephew's body. With his injuries, he'd never manage to resurface again.

"I don't want this life if it is without her." Kili begged, a tear slipping down his cheek as he gave his uncle a final look. Heartbreak and desperation were sewn into his features, and Thorin could not help but let go of his sleeve.

A loud ticking filled the air as Farris' beak kept beating down on a particular place on the ice. Loud banging came from the other side and the three could almost feel their hearts sinking upon the realisation.

"Raewyn..." Kili breathed, running towards the owl before kneeling down next to her. There, he spotted two hands against the ice, the rest of her figure vaguely seen through the dirty war. "Raewyn!" He called again, pounding his fists against the ice as well, trying desperately to break it as she had taken his arrows with her. A anxious smile appeared on his face through the tears, his eyebrows furrowed together in a foreign combination of frustration and hope.

"Hey!" he called, hoping she could hear him. "I see you! Hold on!"

Her figure suddenly faded from view and the pounding stopped. Kili's movements halted at the sight, his head shaking furiously. "No," He mumbled, resting his palms against the lake as he tried to peer down. But when there was nothing else to see, heartwrenching pain gutted through him, his hands slamming down in frustration. "No!"