Chapter VIII

Let's play two truths, one lie;
1. Raewyn carries a necklace for luck.
2. Raewyn could have been a great poet.
3. Raewyn might not hate Thorin that much.

Tw: MORE ANGST. Thorin being a bitch, but that's kind of the main subjects now. Truly hurtful words. Raewyn being quiet for once. Stone giants, mentions of bruises and cuts, near-death situation, but you've seen the movies/books.

———

———

"Be on your guard; We're about to step over the edge of the wild. Balin, you know these paths. Lead on." Thorin commanded, to which Balin responded with an 'aye'. "Master Baggins, I suggest you keep up." The leader remarked.

Raewyn had been right the night before; Thorin had been planning to leave just before the first light. Had it not been for Fili, he probably would've left Raewyn in Rivendell. With her foot restored to it's former condition, she would no longer have troubles keeping up with the company, yet part held her back as she watched Bilbo look back at Rivendell with a deep longing in its eyes.

"You'll come back here some day." She reassured the hobbit, planting a hand on his shoulder. She received a heartfelt smile in response, before the two continued walking at the back of the group.

Days passed as the company walked through plains and mountains, setting up a camp every night before leaving the next day, the moment sunlight hit the ground. Kili hadn't spoken to Raewyn ever since Rivendell. The only company she had herself, were Bilbo, Fili and, on occasions, Ori and Bofur. Bilbo walked beside her every single day, as she had been the closest he could find to Gandalf and a sense of security. Fili had been walking beside the two of them at least twice a day, keeping them company by telling them stories of his home or sharing information about old dwarven tales. Raewyn never did find the heart to tell him that she already knew them, and that Bilbo had already read half of the stories told.

Ori had joined her and Bilbo on a few occasions. At first, it was out of trouble keeping up with the rest of the group, but as he spend more time with them, he found himself asking questions about the hobbit and the ranger.

Bofur had only joined the pair out of his love for bringing cheer. Up front of the group, there were, according to the dwarf, the dull people, who never let him sing nor speak. Down the back, he brought a happy environment, although it had been for the hobbit mainly. Raewyn never did enjoy the awfully positive people, even though they were usually the ones who made journeys more bearable.

As Raewyn sometimes conversed with the dwarves, she could always feel Kili's eyes on her. Perhaps it was her dwarven stubbornness or her human pride, but she did not once look back at him. She had found herself immature for speaking about his uncle the way she did in Rivendell. It had not been remorse she felt, or even guilt.