Chapter III

Thorin might seem like an angry person on the outside but inside he's even angrier.

Tw: /

———

———

When Raewyn came back to her senses, she noticed the sound of several dwarves shouting. She quickly grabbed her knives and holstered them back, shooting a quick look at Farris, to see if the owl was doing alright. When she saw her resting on the top of a big chair, Raewyn smiled and gave its head a quick stroke of affection. She then walked back towards the dining hall, resting her steps behind the hobbit, who was curiously peeking through the opening of the door.

"You forget," Balin began, shutting down the sounds the dwarves earlier made, "the front gate is sealed. There is no way into the mountain."

"That, my dear Balin, is not entirely true." Gandalf revealed, twirling a seemingly heavy key between his fingers. Thorin looked at the wizard surprised, causing Bilbo to lean forward in order to see what was happening.

"How came you by this?" The leader asked, bewildered by the key that had now found it's way into his own hands.

"It was given to me by your father, Thrain, for safe keeping. It is yours now." Gandalf said, granting the dwarf the ghost of a smile. Every dwarf stared at the key that once appeared lost. The only trespassing into their old kingdom.

"If there is a key, there must be a door!" Fili spoke up, openly showing his excitement.

Gandalf now pointed to the map, showing the others proof. "These runes speak of a hidden passage to the lower halls."

"There's another way in...." Kili simplified, smiling at his brother.

"Well, if we can find it, but dwarf doors are invisible when closed." The wizard explained. "The answer lies hidden somewhere in this map, and I do not have the skill to find it, but there are others in Middle-Earth who can. The task I have in mind will require a great deal of stealth, and no small amount of courage. But if we're careful and clever, I believe that it can be done."

"That's why we need a burglar!" A young dwarf spoke, almost making the ranger smile.

"Hmm. And a good one too. An expert, I'd imagine." Bilbo decided to speak up, causing Raewyn to lean back against the wood and look at the creature in wonder.

"And are you?" One asked. All heads now turned to the hobbit, causing him to grow an obvious bit uncomfortable. He turned around to look at Raewyn, but she shook her head and subtly pointed her finger to him.

"Am I what?" Bilbo wondered, hearing the question just fine, but not keen on answering it.

"He said he's an expert!" One of the elder spoke, causing few dwarves to cheer.