Chapter XXXVI

Showing emotion doesn't affect badass women and Raewyn is living proof

Tw: violence, descriptions of battle/violence, blood, injuries, mentions of pain and injuries, orc violence, dwarf violence too. Angst, back injuries, serious intimidation. Raewyn swears. More Raeli but also more pain. Beginning of the end.

———

———

Though devastated, the ruins of Ravenhill were still a sight to behold. Having wandered Middle-Earth for as long as she had, Raewyn had seen her fair share of desolate places, but there was something about broken architectures on a hill or mountain that she loved most. To simply imagine what live was like there before it found its destruction.

Of course, now, there was no time to wonder about the place. Now, the three dwarves had to pat across the snow carefully - silently. They already knew they were being watched, but their ranger had recommended silence, and thus, the only audible thing was the blowing off the wind, and the sound of battle down the hill and on the other side - from Thorin and Dwalin.

A sudden noise fills the air, and the three hold their weapons towards the source immediately. An expectant look came from Fili as he turned to his friend.

"Goblins?" He mouthed. But the Asha shook her head in denial. She had no keen ears like the elves, but years of travelling alone made it easy to distinguish noises from each other. This was no goblin; this was an orc.

"Stay here," The blonde commanded, holding his hand out to stop Kili and Raewyn from following him. "Search the lower levels. I've got this."

"You're funny," Raewyn scoffed, grabbing his hand and tugging him towards her and his brother. "I don't understand what part of 'let's not split up' fails to register in your head." Her voice was hushed, but as accusing as ever.

"We'll cover ground quicker if we split up." He argued, his voice equally quiet, but with more stress on his words.

"And that's what he's counting on!" The ranger fumed quietly. "Azog is no random orc. He is an army general; he's somewhat clever."

"You said it yourself, it is you he wants." The dwarf countered, his face set in slight anger, though it appeared more exhaustive than enraged. "I'll be fine."

With that, he turned around, walking towards the flight of stairs that led up to the top of the ruins.

"Fi, get back here!" His brother yelled after him in a whisper, but Fili paid him no heed. That is when Raewyn began to threaten: "Fili, you come back here this instant or I swear on all good things on this earth, you'll be down this mountain quicker than you can walk."

That is when he stopped again, turning around with a scowl on his face. The Asha shot him a warning look, raising her eyebrows to make her point as she beckoned him over once more.