Chapter XVII

Accusations, lies and unintended actions....a filler, but not so much

Tw: Thranduil being a bitch (Luna, ruining your favorite Tolkien characters since 2021), Bilbo and Raewyn being adorably caught up in rather uncomfortable misconceptions of cultures. Raewyn threatens to kill herself, but it's merely words, don't worry. Mentions/description of an isolation cell. Mentions of hanging someone. Lot of skips, but it will make sense in act III. Raewyn's hair gets cut involuntarily.

———

———

"Who?" Raewyn uttered, narrowing her eyes at the elven king.

"The former queen of Greenwood." He immediately revealed, now standing in front of the Asha.

Raewyn's eyes widened at his words, truly confused by the sudden revelations.

"I think you are mistaken." She argued. "I have not once met any Silvan elves. Let alone wander through these woods. I could not have encountered your queen."

"And you did not," Thranduil confessed. "But your kin did."

"My kin died." The ranger shot back, spitting the words out like venom.

"And they went unpunished."

"They died!" Raewyn fumed.

"Your kin cannot stand trial for their deeds, so you must." The king finalized. "Either you stand trial and perhaps manage to walk out of here alive, or your final breath will be taken in these halls."

Raewyn gaped at the king, shaking her head as she tried to look around for any form of sympathy. Yet, upon noticing none with an apologetical face, she turned back to the king, frowning when she met his eyes.

"How can I defend myself for something I did not even know happened?" She ranted.

"You cannot." The king agreed. "But Oakenshield insisted on a trial."

At those words, she let her eyes wander the room, landing on Thorin, who offered her a mere nod.

"Shall we begin?" Thranduil announced, causing a feeling of pure dread and fear to run through Raewyn's stomach. And even though Thorin had stalled for time by demanding a trial, she already knew there was little, to no chance of her ever escaping these halls. All she could do now, was talk around the subject for as long as she could.

——

In the dungeons, the dwarves wallowed away in silence, trying to find any form of distraction or comfort. Fili had been anxiously biting on the inside of his cheek, running his tongue over his teeth every so often, casting occasional looks towards the empty cell in front of him.

In the cell next to him, Kili was inspecting a polished black stone. The red-haired elf from earlier walked through the dungeons, keeping an eye on every single one of the dwarves, when her eyes caught Kili flipping the rock in the air, catching it halfway. She paused in front of him, looking down at the object.