Chapter XXXI

Raewyn might be girlbossing a bit too close to the sun

Tw: Raewyn is pulling a season 8 Daenerys Targaryen, description of violence and use of of weapons, but no mention of injuries or blood. Thorin with dragonsickness, shitload of angst, just pain; Kili cries.

———

———

Armies of elves and men littered the front gates of Erebor, archers hidden behind the gates of Dale, awaiting the command of their leader. As Raewyn and Kili reached the group above the entrance of the mountain, the ranger was able to make out the familiar figure of Bard, and - much to her surprise and dismay - that of king Thranduil. Frowning upon the sight, she turned to Kili, who merely gave her a confused look, having not expected the two either.

Thorin, who had been standing in front of the dwarves, drew his bow, shooting an arrow toward the pair. The projectile embedded the floor directly in front of the elk Thranduil was riding, making him halt the animal, looking up at Thorin in shock.

"I will put the next one between your eyes!" The dwarf bellowed, glaring at the elven king.

Drawing his bow again, the dwarves began to cheer, shaking their weapons in warning and pride. Rolling her eyes at the pair, Raewyn walked forward, trying to find the hobbit.

Suddenly, the bowmen from Dale pulled back their weapons, aiming their arrows toward the crowd of dwarves. Abruptly, their cheering ended, their axes and swords freezing mid-air. Some of them began to duck, yet Thorin stood in place, Raewyn only shortly removed from him.

"We have come to tell you, payment of your debt has been offered..." A brief silence struck as the elven king spoke. "And accepted."

"What payment?" Thorin chuckled, almost mocking the men and elves below. A sinking feeling began to settle into Raewyn's stomach as she inhaled sharply, as if she had just gotten hit by a blunt kick.

"I gave you nothing! You have nothing!" The dwarf shouted, his bow still drawn.

The Asha noticed Bard moving forward, reaching for something in his pocket. Taking two steps to the ramp, Raewyn stood beside Thorin, not sparing him a second glace, her eyes instead glued onto the man.

"We have this!" Bard claimed, pulling the Arkenstone from his robe, holding it above his head.

"They have the Arkenstone?" Kili wondered aloud, surprising the ranger with his sudden presence. "Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house? That belongs to the king!"

Though her face was facing forward, and none of the dwarves could see it, Raewyn formed her lips in a thin line, looking down at her hands.

"And the king may have it. In our good will." The man offered, putting the Arkenstone back where it is hidden from sight. "But first, he must honor his word."