Chapter IV

Running off into the wild with strangers? It's more likely than you think.

Tw: description of trauma/traumatic experiences, building tension between Raewyn and Thorin, description of impending (suppressed) panic attack caused by flashbacks, Kili's horrible flirting

———

———

Bright light shone through the windows of Bilbo's hobbit hole. Streams of white luminosity shone onto Raewyn's face, slowly waking her up. She had never been a heavy sleeper, as much danger always lurked everywhere. Gandalf said it was paranoia. Raewyn said it was experience. Whatever it was, it stopped her from getting full night rests.

She had woken up three times last night. One time when Gandalf had come to check on her, one time where Bilbo walked past the hall in order to get some sleep himself and one time when one of the dwarves found the need to use the bathroom. All three times she went back to sleep, yet sunlight deemed her improbable to return at the moment. She yawned silently as she let her eyes get used to the daylight. Farris had already been seated on top of Raewyn's legs, silently trying to steal some meat from her owner. When Raewyn's eyes met hers, she quickly lifted her head and flew towards the door.

"You little thief." The woman spoke tiredly, her voice still laced with sleep. She made a quick observation of the door and found that it had not been locked at night. She smiled and stood up, remaining her balance perfectly for someone who had just been forced awake. She quietly opened the door and stepped out, getting some fresh air herself. The woman sat down on the bench in Bilbo's garden as Farris flew off, probably to find herself some food.

Raewyn had taken hobbits to be morning people, but when she looked around, she found the place awfully quiet. Thanks to her keen eyesight, she saw a few hobbits moving in their houses, but her glance did not linger too long. That would be intruding. Raewyn never considered herself a morning person. She just woke up early without the possibility to go back to sleep. It did not mean she enjoyed it. Usually she would get a quick bath before reading until she started to become hungry. And that commonly wasn't until a few hours.

She also did not consider herself a night owl. When her surrounding became more quiet and the sky had turned dark, she often opted to find some shelter and sleep immediately. Of course, there were times she was not tired, but she knew her sleep was scarce, so thanks to a certain wizard, she had gotten a herb which helped her sleep almost instantly.

Yes, she was not a early bird nor a night owl. She was some sort of permanently exhausted pigeon.

Behind her, she heard silent footsteps approach. She quickly turned around and held her hand next to the holster of one of her daggers. When she came face to face with the person sneaking up on her, her hand dropped.