Chapter XXII

I swear, I love Raewyn and I am so sorry

Tw: (it's chapter X tw list all over) Mentions/graphic description of blood, injuries and poison. Drowning, description of pain and fatigue. Mentions of nausea, feeling lightheaded, the whole shebang. Shit goes down. Imagine Raewyn in Kili's shoes in dos. Feelings of desperation and loss. Kili is sad but also sets his foot down. Raeli moments but it's bittersweet. Raewyn and Bilbo part ;-;

———

———

Dragons, though graceful, were extremely dangerous and hostile. Raewyn grew up with the terrible tales of Morgoth, and his dragons, under which Glaurung and Ancalagon. And though the tales had told her to fear them, she had always admired them. Horrendous creatures they were, yes. As were the werewolves, balrogs, and evil spirits, but in a way, that certain pull towards the large beasts had been prominent since she was a child. The Northern drakes had terrorized many mountains, but she had never encountered them. Not once had she seen the desolation a creature as large as a dragon could cause. She never felt the hot sting of the searing flame, or the smoke crawling into your throat under a burning village. Nor had she experienced that dreadful fear of expecting an attack. Though her ancestors died from Smaug himself, Raewyn was far from born, let alone being created, at that time. So all she could do was imagine standing in front of one someday.

There was something dangerous about loving and admiring a thing as fatal as a dragon, and Raewyn knew better than to let that get the best of her as she was set out to slay one, but she had promised herself that she would allow herself to let her gaze wonder upon those wings that caused hurricanes, or those eyes that bewitched the one who dared to look into them, as Glaurung had cursed Túrin.

But now she stood before him. He, who she had promised to slay upon signing that contract in Bag-End. He was as tall as the mountain, his eyes piercing and burning, while his claws made indents in the lakes, the water sizzling from under the marks, vaporizing into the thin air upon the smoking heat. His tail was as large as Laketown had been, and his teeth were as sharp as those fine elven blades of the first age.

He was speaking, but she could not hear him. If anything, she did not even know whether he was talking to her or not, for she did not feel alone. There was someone else with her, but she could not turn around to see them. Behind the dragon, she could see the houses of the Lakemen burn, their flames touching the heavens above.

Though Smaug was more intimidating than she had anticipated, she was nowhere near scared. Her admiration only grew as he breathed and spoke in front of her, but her sword was tightly held in her hand. She was ready to strike if she needed to.

She saw Thorin in her line of vision, standing on his own, as he appeared to be the one to speak with the dragon. But this was not who she knew was with her. She could not quite make out the figure, for it was not familiar to her. She did not recognize the person lurking behind her. But she could not turn, nor could she let the words flow of her tongue. She appeared to be frozen, her mind running haywire. Smaug had not terrified her, it was the unknown presence looming over her shoulder. The drawing realization of not knowing or recognizing anyone, was far more frightening than the drake in front of her.