Chapter II

Where two people meet, who hate each other more than Anakin hates sand.

Tw: Violence (not against a person)

———

———

"Those are my... Excuse me, not my wine!" Bilbo spoke, trying to stop the dwarves from plundering his pantry. Raewyn had resided in the corner of the room, just in front of the hall, where the dwarves had settled Bilbo's dining table. She gave the hobbit a questioning glance, but he just shook his head at her and resumed talking - nay - yelling at the dwarves.

"Put that back. Put that back! Not the jam, please. Excuse me!" He grabbed multiple condiments, and he stuffed them back in the pantry. Just then, the biggest dwarf walked out, carrying various blocks of cheese.

"Ex-Excuse me..." Bilbo began, not even knowing how to correctly speak to him. "A tad excessive, isn't it? Have you got a cheese knife?"

A second dwarf walked up and smiled at the hobbit. "A cheese knife? He eats it by the block."

"You are not a dwarf." Someone spoke to Raewyn, causing her attention to divert from the still struggling hobbit. In front of her stood a dwarf with white hair, holding a plate of, what appeared to be, tea. She raised her eyebrows and nodded at him.

"Keen observation." She spoke sarcastically, forcing kindness out of her throat.

"What are you then?" The dwarf did not sound rude, even though Raewyn had expected him to. He sounded genuinely interested and confused about her build. As a joke, the woman looked down, as if inspecting her own body, before looking back up and shrugging. "A woman."

"From the race of men?" The dwarf questioned, not catching her joke. Raewyn's lips formed in a thin line as she shook her head. "Sure."

"So, I should just call you lady, then?" The dwarf resumed, causing the young woman to widen her eyes and wildly shake her head. "No. Not a lady."

"How do I refer to you then?" He continued, trying to address Raewyn. "Preferably not," she muttered under her breath, but when she noticed Gandalf's glance, she picked up her speech, "but if you must, you can call me Tolmiró."

The dwarf smiled at her and nodded. "Well, my name is Dori."

The woman smiled back at him and gave a nod of her head in recognition to him. "Would you like a nice cup of chamomile tea, Tolmiró?" Dori asked, offering her a cup.

"I just had my fill." She answered, rejecting his offer. When she saw his face fall, she looked back at Gandalf, who was now smiling at the other dwarves who were decking the table.

"Gandalf might want one, though." She spoke, causing Dori's face to light up and walk towards the tall wizard. Raewyn watched as the dwarf walked away, still surprised by his kindness.