Chapter XXIX

When the dwarves have very little screen time in tbotfa so you have to write you own scenes while you are in a writing slump

Tw: More Thorin and Raewyn banter. Sudden angst (hold on to your seatbelts. It's gonna be a ride from this chapter on). Raewyn kicks Kili. Bilbo and Raewyn being besties because we need some happiness to keep the energy up. Descriptions of exhaustion because of walking + description of being out of breath because of a fall. I like time skips for the spice. Not that heavy yet.

———

———

If the mountains of gold did not appear overwhelming from a distance, they definitely did up close. Having ignored Thorin's shouts and protests, Raewyn had marched up to the treasure hoard, ready to grab enough valuables for Laketown to rebuild. Yet, unlike she had suspected, no one had come to stop her yet. The king was so caught up in his own mind that he could not find the strength nor the urge to stop the Asha, even though he had been completely and utterly obsessed with the gems and gold.

Picking the purest of jewels from the piles, Raewyn stuffed them in her pockets, not wasting her time on mere golden coins. She knew exactly what was more valuable, and which could remain in the halls forever.

Silent curses spilled from her mouth as she tried to push Thorin's delusional face from her mind. She was aware that it was only a matter of time before he would confront her again, but she would make sure the men on the other side of the gates held their share of the treasure.

The gold beneath her feet fell with every movement, and the clinking of it was heard throughout the otherwise quiet mountain. Never had treasure looked so sickening, or sounded so foreign, and she nearly grew scared at the daunting amount of jewels. Pushing herself through it, she reached down to pick up another necklace, inspecting the emeralds decorating the chain, before stuffing it with the rest of her share.

A loud clinking was heard from behind her, but this was much further than her feet were. The ranger froze at the sound for a short moment, staring at the coins below her as she tried to identify the footsteps.

When a louder clinking was heard again, it was obvious to her that the person wanted to make themselves known. And with that thought, it did not take long for her to figure out who it was.

"Did he send you?" She asked aloud, picking up a ring from a small treasure chest.

A sharp silence was heard after her question, and she knew the presence had halted his movement.

"Yes." Sounded a remorseful reply.

Raewyn hummed at the answer, twirling the ring between her fingers. When no other words were spoken, she put the ring in her pouch, turning around to face the prince.