Chapter XXVIII

Thorin and Raewyn set aside their differences and decide to hate each other again

Tw: Threats including the mention of blood, hostility, Thorin insults Raewyn, Raewyn insult Thorin. Tiny mention of blood. Description of the aftermath of battle/loss. Thorin being an asshole, again.

———

———

When Raewyn heard the dwarves nearing the gate, she had expected them to meet Bard face on. Or to at least have a conversation with him. What she had not expected, was for them to block the broken gate, stacking rocks and bricks, as to keep the men out. She had found her hiding spot at the top of the gates, and thus far, she had not been seen, but the urge to jump down and stop them had never been more appealing.

Bilbo had looked up at her multiple times, silently pleading her to remain where she was, but he knew it was only a matter of time before she would launch herself at Thorin again. From beside him, Fili had been secretly looking at the ranger as well, though he hid it much better than the oblivious hobbit. He had doubted whether he should tell Kili, but with the number of dwarves crowding them, he found it wiser to remain silent.

"I want this fortress made safe by sunup," Thorin demanded loudly. "This mountain was hard won. I will not see it taken again."

"The people of Laketown have nothing!" Kili protested, angrily stacking the rock in his hand, glaring at the king. "They came to us in need! They have lost everything."

"Do not tell me what they have lost," Thorin spat, walking up to his nephew, his face equally stern, though more intimidating than that of the younger dwarf. "I know well enough of their hardship. Those who have lived through dragonfire should rejoice. They have much to be grateful for."

Walking away from the company, he stared into the distance, finding the Lakemen settling in the fallen city of Dale. Fires have been lit for warmth and light, their smoke once more burning from the streets. No longer the light of war, but that of loss.

"More stone!" Thorin demanded nonetheless. "Bring more stone to the gate!"

In both anger and despair, Raewyn quietly looked on, slowly letting her eyes rest on Dale, silently mourning for the fallen men. Her thoughts fell back on the heat of the flames they had faced only nights earlier. The scream of terror and cries of pain and loss. The countless burned bodies which had lain floating in the canal, their faces near unrecognizable. The houses and possessions destroyed, and families torn apart. She had faced loss, but never on a scale this big. She hadn't found any love for the Lakemen when the company arrived, but no one had deserved such destruction. Such devastation.

She had tried to find Bard throughout the people wandering in Dale, but he seemed to have disappeared completely. And she could not blame him either; he was with his family again. He could use some time to breathe.