Chapter XL

More Asha history because it's my story

Tw: Injuries/descriptions of injuries, flashbacks to trauma and fear, vivid dreams. Description of pain. Gandalf is being Gandalf. Kili is a sweetheart. Losing of consciousness.

———

———It was just past midnight when Gandalf entered Raewyn's tent

———
It was just past midnight when Gandalf entered Raewyn's tent. He had found Bilbo sound asleep at the gates of Erebor and had helped him inside to a warm chamber, before marching over to the medical sites.

Upon opening the tent flap, he found himself faced with an exhausted Fili, who was close to falling asleep in the clumsy wooden chairs in the room. His brother sat beside him on a second chair, looking exhausted as well, though he appeared nowhere near closing his eyes any time soon. Fili noticed the wizard almost immediately, jumping up from his seat quickly.

"Gandalf," he announced, his voice sounding almost relieved. Hearing his brother's words, Kili's head shot up too, the rest of his body remaining in his seat. He looked worse for wear and Gandalf found himself frowning upon the sight.

Bowing his head to the two heirs, he neared Raewyn, an unsettling feeling finding its way into his stomach. Carefully, Fili approached him, almost scared to break their interaction, one-sided as it may be.

"They said that she might not wake," the dwarf began, his voice set in sorrow. "They'd be foolish to think so." Gandalf answered, interrupting the other words the blond had wished to speak. He knew Fili would already offer his condolences, but he was not ready to hear them yet.

A hand waved over her head slowly, his touch barely ghosting her nose. Then, he moved his hand down, humming in what the dwarves could only interpret as understanding.

"Did you know that Rogur Asha survived Melkor's wrath ages ago?" The wizard suddenly spoke up, taking the pair by surprise. A mumbled speech of denial escaped Kili's throat, but Fili nodded slightly.

"He faced Ancalagon the Black," he answered. "Amad used to tell us how he rode the dragon."

Gandalf dared to risk a little smile, returning his hand as slow as he had raised it. "That is a mere tale," he began, turning to face the older brother. "He did not fly on the dragon. In fact, he did not last more than five seconds against the beast."

Fili's face fell upon the revelation, as Kili's head slowly turned back to his lap, where his fingers still lay entwined with one another.

"It is in the Ashas belief that he was as good as dead after the battle, when suddenly Illuvatar himself descended down from the heavens to heal his wounds." That sparked regained interest from the two princes, who simultaneously showed a surprised expression. Entertained by their reaction, the wizard continued; "Since then, the Ashas have been graced with incredible stamina and endurance."