Chapter V

Trolls, gold and wizards, you know? Your average Saturday night.

Tw: Mention of injuries, mentions of bruised/broken ribs (not explicit), sprained ankle

———

———

It had been a few days since the company left the comfort of Bilbo's home. Per usual, Raewyn was walking beside the group. Gandalf had offered for her to use his horse, but she had denied his offer for a multitude of reasons. The first, and foremost; her height would never allow her to ride a real horse, and secondly; Thorin was still very adamant in tiring her. She would not fall for his stupid goal, nor would she give him the satisfaction of showing him his plan was working. So, she walked alongside the ponies. Besides, Kili had grabbed her bag every day so she would have less to carry, much to her relief.

She had been fairly able to keep up with everyone. That was, until the weather decided that rain was exactly what they needed at the moment. The floor had become slippery, which was exactly that what you don't want when you have to walk for at least ten hours.

"Here, Mr. Gandalf? Can't you do something about this deluge?" Dori asked over the rain.

"It is raining, master dwarf," Gandalf returned, "and it will continue to rain until the rain is done! If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard!"

Dori didn't speak back to him, a new silence filling the air. "Are there any?" Bilbo spoke up, now curious about the wizards. "What?" Gandalf shot back confused. "Other wizards?" The hobbit elaborated.

At that, Gandalf's face turned into a smile and his eyes shone a little. "There are five us. The greatest of our order is Saruman, The White. Then there are the two blue wizards." The wizard took a short break, as if thinking of something. "Do you know, I've quite forgotten their names."

"Alatar and Pallando." Raewyn filled in, sending a smirk the old wizard's way.

"And who is the fifth?" Bilbo asked, now looking towards the young woman, who was completely drenched in rain droplets while her armor let little waterfalls run from her shoulders. "Radagast The Brown." The woman answered, now looking back ahead with the same smirk she wore before.

"Is he a great wizard," the hobbit started, "or is he more like you?" He wondered, his question now directed towards Gandalf. Raewyn allowed a small snicker to escape her mouth, but she quickly recollected herself. "I think he's a very great wizard, in his own way." Gandalf defended. "He's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. He keeps a watchful eye over the vast forestlands to the East, and a good thing too, for always evil will look to find a foothold in this world."

"He's a sweetheart," Raewyn added, "but he's a little...." she tapped her temple twice, signifying the wizard to be a bit strange. Bilbo nodded at her and looked back ahead.