Chapter XXXIII

The filler before the storm

Tw: Violence, decapitation, general against orc violence, flashback, Bilbo being an anxious mess, Kili is sort of sad, Fili rights. Short chapter, but only because we have like two/three left.

———

———

"The key to taking down your opponent is your own balance."

The break the company had gotten at Beorn had been welcomed, to say the least. Raewyn had taken it upon herself to teach Bilbo the basics of fighting. At least so he'd survive the rest of this journey. She figured that they'd come across much more than orcs in the meantime.

"How do you maintain balance when walking?" The hobbit wondered aloud, pointing towards his own feet, before looking up at Raewyn.

In return, the Asha smiled at him, offering him one of the two sticks she found in Beorn's garden. She figured they'd minimise the damage, would any be dealt.

"Tackle me."

Looking up at her with wide eyes, the hobbit shook his head. "You're still recovering."

"Believe me. I'll be fine."

Though unnerved by her words, Bilbo grabbed the stick. He observed his friend for a short moment, trying to assess the perfect place to strike. As if she heard his thoughts, Raewyn tapped the side of her knee with her stick, now parting her legs for a stronger stance.

Inhaling deeply, the hobbit nodded, grabbing the stick with both hands before advancing. His weapon hit the shown spot, but due to his carefulness, it felt like a mere nudge to Raewyn's legs.

She raised her eyebrows at him, giving him an expectant look.

"I can't just hit your knee." He defended, referring to her still healing body. Rolling her eyes at him, the ranger struck her smaller companion on his shoulder, causing him to grow distracted. Turning his head to look at the hit shoulder, Raewyn nudged her foot between his, before kicking to the left gently, making the hobbit stumble before falling to the floor. Aiming her makeshift weapon at him, she smiled, shrugging as he shot her an incredulous look.

"Wounded enemies will still strike, Bilbo."

Huffing in defeat, said hobbit clambered back up, hitting his thighs as to shake off the sand.

"These are your gravitational points." Raewyn continued, pointing to her hips, then gesturing to her friend's. "They should be aligned with your feet. Part them too far, or too near, and you'll easily fall."

Bilbo copied her movements as she parted her legs slightly in demonstration. Wielding the stick, she silently urged the hobbit to wield his as well.

"Now, the key is not to hack your opponent aimlessly; try to get them off their balance."