Chapter XXVII

Fili and Raewyn fight and we finally see something of her strength as a ranger

Tw: Mentions/description of hand-to-hand combat, Fili gets his ass beaten, dragon sickness, Thorin being delusional. A little Bagginshield (I'm giving the fans what they want), but it's hinted. False accusations.

———

———

A cold breeze hung in the air as Raewyn dangled her legs from the entrance of Erebor. She had helped the dwarves look for the Arkenstone out of pity eventually, but hours turned into days, which turned into sleepless nights. And unlike Thorin's loyal subjects, Raewyn knew when to stop. So far, she had slipped past their eyes unknowingly. And even if they had noticed her, they would not find her. Not yet, in any case. The rubble Smaug had caused had simultaneously created a stairway up the gates of the kingdom, allowing her to look over the skyline, that under any other circumstances would have been breathtaking.

Bilbo had obeyed Thorin's words and sought the halls well behaved, but Raewyn was having none of it. The mad king was steering his mindless followers and it angered her to the core. It was exactly what she had been warned for growing up; People who thought themselves to be above all others. Doing and going as they please, not minding the consequences. And the company had turned into a mere machine for him to work. Balin had already advised her to not face Thorin now, but she feared she might any time soon.

And so she said there, getting that fresh air she had been lacking for days. Laketown and its survivors still lay heavy on her mind as she did her best to refrain from grabbing any gold from the mountains of treasure.

She should just leave, she knew this. There was no more reason for her to stay. The dragon had been slain, the mountain had been reclaimed and Thorin became king. Yet, part of her pulled back. Dwarves lived under the wills of their ruler, but not like this. She could not let them tire themselves just because their king had lost his mind. She had almost laughed upon realizing Thorin went mad in his first week of ruling, but she was aware that this was a serious matter. And most of the dwarves in there had become her friends. Or at least dear companions. She could not leave them up to their fate like that. Even if they were convinced it was the right way.

"Am I interrupting?" A voice suddenly asked, knocking Raewyn out of her thoughts.

She turned slightly in her seat, smirking upon seeing the person who had followed her up.

"For a moment I thought you were someone else." She admitted, nodding her head towards the empty space beside them.

"You were expecting my brother?" Fili smiled, accepting her offer as he sat down beside her.

"Yes." She answered honestly, no longer seeing reason to lie about it.

Fili chuckled in response, chucking a pebble towards the ruins in front of them.