Chapter XVIII

In which it becomes clear I love to torture my own characters.

Tw: Mirkwood, more Raeli moments <3. Mentions and description of violence, blood, wounds and adrenaline. Raewyn gets a bit stressed and frustrated and takes it out on Kili. Description of a dagger wound. Mention of poisoning (time to get funky). More mentions of blood than usual. Concerned puppy Kili. Description of breaking someone neck and decapitating someone. Raewyn is somewhat like a woman possessed while fighting, sorry not sorry.

———

———

"I'll wager the sun's on the rise. It must be nearly dawn." Bofur sighed, looking down in defeat.

"We're never going to reach the mountain, are we?" Ori lamented, letting himself drop to the floor as he stared up at the Mirkwood halls above the dungeons.

"Not stuck in here, you're not." Bilbo announced, walking past the cells as he dangled the keys. Raewyn followed shortly after him, constantly checking behind them to see whether they were followed or not.

"Bilbo!" Balin exclaimed in surprise. Multiple dwarves shouted in glee, standing up from their seats, rushing towards the doors that held them back.

"Shhh!" The hobbit shushed. "There are guards nearby."

Bilbo walked up to Thorin's cell, letting him out first. Raewyn kept her distance between the two, instead looking around the dungeons as she observed the dwarves trying to gain Bilbo's attention. All but two.

"Raewyn!" Fili whispered, getting the ranger's attention. When she looked at the two dwarves calling for her, she ran over to them, almost thinking something was wrong.

"Raewyn, are you-" Kili began as she was in earshot, but he interrupted himself halfway as he finally got a good look at her.

"What..what happened to your hair?" He observed, reaching out through the bars as his hands got a gentle hold of her cut-off braid. He furrowed his eyebrows together as he got a good look at her hair, his mind already wandering off to her bead.

"Thranduil cut it, but-" The ranger began to explain.

"The elven king?" Fili gasped, now leaning against the bars to look at the broken strand of hair in Kili's hand.

"Yes." She clarified, swallowing thickly as she looked at the blonde. She did not like the attention the lost braid would get, even if it hurt her. So she decided to play it off. "What other Thranduil?"

Fili shrugged at the question of the Asha, to which she raised her eyebrows momentarily.

"He cut off your braid?" Kili asked, his voice raising an octave.

"Yes." Raewyn sighed.

"With your bead?" The dwarf resumed.

"Yes, Kili, the one with my bead." The ranger addressed.