Chapter XIX

Fili brings luck. Kili brings chaos.

Tw: Mentions of wounds/blood, Raewyn telling Dwalin to grow a pair, Kili and Raewyn lying to Bilbo, brief description of pain. One (1) use of a swearword, but it's in the language of the Ashas so it's not even that serious. That was actually it?

———

———

A cold wind ran over the waters, delivering shivers to the company, who had now all been seated on the boat a bargeman so happened to offer. Raewyn had not been there when they met him, but as far as she could see, he was not really one for conversations. And that soothed her somehow. She truly did not feel like talking to anyone at the moment.

The ranger had been seated with her back against the ramp of the boat, her arms tugged over each other inside her tunic, the sleeves of the fabric hanging down beside her body. Bilbo had chosen to take a seat next to his friend, observing her with much interest and curiosity.

"What are you doing?" He whispered, gesturing towards her arms which were no longer visible to the rest of the company.

"Preserving body heat." She simply stated. "When you come out of cold water and the air doesn't warm you up, you need to get rid of the freezing material. But, alas," She sighed, rolling her eyes as she looked down at Bilbo. "I am here on a boat, surrounded by dwarves and a man. I do not think this would be an appropriate time to strip myself off of my shirt."

The hobbit chuckled at her words, nodding his head once. "So, how do you.." He began, referring to the ranger's earlier statement.

Raewyn smiled at him, returning her arms to her sleeves as she reached for Bilbo's coat.

"First, you make sure you can move your arms freely," The hobbit followed her commands, letting the coat fall off of his body. "And then, you simply retreat your arms to your chest through your sleeve, and you fold them."

Bilbo toyed with the ends of his sleeves, shivering as the cold got increasingly worse, thanks to his suddenly lost layer of clothing. When his arms met each other under his blouse, he looked back at the ranger.

"Like this?

"Just like that." She agreed, carefully draping his coat back around his shoulders.

"This...this is a whole lot warmer than before." The hobbit admitted, shaking his shoulders as he got comfortable, releasing in the warmth his arms were now getting.

"My father always used to tell me that hands were the portals to someone's body." Raewyn spoke up, letting her hands wander back under her shirt.

Bilbo gave her an encouraging look, urging her to continue.

"The poetic way of explaining it, would be because your hands introduce you to everything. They introduce you to fabric, to food, to people. They decide whether you like the touch of something or not." She explained to him.