Chapter XVI

Making your favorite Tolkien characters absolutely horrible pt. 2

Tw: Ohhh the plot thickens. Arachnophobia, Raewyn freezing up, mentions/description of knife violence and blood. Mention of being accused of murder + murder trial. Now it's Legolas' and Thranduil's turn to be a bitch. Let's give Thorin a break.

———

———

As Bilbo lifted himself above the trees, a sudden waft of fresh air hit his face, as if a spell had just been broken. As he breathes in deeply, ice blue butterflies flew past his face, surprising him with the mere sight of them. The sun was seen obviously in the sky, its light reflecting on the red leafed trees. The hobbit uttered a laugh at the sight, looking around in pure glee. In the distance, he can spot multiple landmarks and a large-running river.

"I- I can see a lake!" He called to the company below. "And a river. And the Lonely Mountain!" He exclaimed happily.

"We're almost there!"

But instead of shouts of excitement in reply, everything remained silent.

"Can you hear me?" He asked, scared his voice wouldn't reach the dwarves. "I know which way to go! Hello?"

But once more, no replies from the ground. The hobbit looked down in confusion, but a loud thumping in the distance drew his eyes back to the horizon.

"Hello?" He mumbled, though he was mainly speaking to himself now.

In the distance, the trees moved haphazardly under the weight of an unknown object approaching. And it is heading straight towards Bilbo. The hobbit's eyes widened at the sight, his brain screaming at him to run. Without a second of hesitation, the hobbit climbed down again, frantically looking around for his company. But by doing so, he failed to pay attention to where he was placing his feet. And before he knew it, his feet got trapped in one of the spider webs, causing him to stumble, and ultimately fall down.

After bouncing painfully off branches, and yelling in pain, the hobbit finally reached the ground.

"Raewyn?" Bilbo yelled, desperately looking for his ranger friend, hoping for her to be well, and – secretly – hoping for her to keep him safe too.

But just as he managed to stand up again, one of the cobwebs broke, revealing a massive spider. One that he could only have nightmares about. And he hadn't even been that frightened of spiders to begin with. Yet, as the creature showed its fangs, Bilbo yells, taking a step back, stumbling over a rock behind him, landing on his back in an even bigger spiderweb. The poor hobbit trashes around, trying fiercely to get out of the sticky substance, but he remains trapped, forced to watch as the enormous spider approaches him.

——

When he comes to again, he's quick to realize he is trapped inside a spider cocoon. He has been hung upside down, followed by the rest of his company members. Six spiders swarm around them, as if inspecting them in some sort of way.