Chapter VI

Wargs. Why did it have to be wargs?

Tw: Ankle injury (sprained), being chased, mention of violence and description of usage of weapons, but it's against orcs and wargs, so it's okay. More violent tension between Raewyn and Thorin.

———

———

"Oh, what's the stench?" A dwarf asked, already nearing the cave they had been so desperately looking for. "It's a troll hoard. Be careful what you touch." Gandalf advised, letting everyone pass inside.

As the dwarves all entered the cave, Raewyn waited outside. "You won't go in?" A deep voice asked, nearly causing an aneurism of annoyance to run trough the woman.

"I'm grateful for what I have. I need not more than that what I already possess." She spoke, turning her head towards the dwarf. "You have nothing." Thorin spoke, glaring towards the woman.

"Grow a pair." She retorted, now turning her entire body towards him. The dwarf looked at her in anger and stepped closer. Although he had a slightly more muscular build than Raewyn, she did not back away. On the contrary, she took a step towards him, her head high and her face strong. Only a small remainder of space was in between them, but neither backed off.

"Watch your mouth, Asha." The dwarf hissed.

"Watch your back, Oakenshield." She returned, her voice just as venomous.

"Children, children." Gandalf spoke up, his staff now between the two bitter figures, urging them to take some distance. "There is no need for hostility amongst the company." He scolded, primarily looking towards Raewyn, who ignored his glance, but kept her eyes on Thorin all the same. When the company's leader turned away from her, she received a frown from Gandalf, but said nothing. When no response was heard, Gandalf followed the dwarf, leaving Raewyn alone with her thoughts. Or so, she thought.

"The two of you really don't like each other, do you?" Someone asked, causing Raewyn to show a tiny smile at the voice.

"No, we don't." She answered, looking towards the hobbit.

"What happened between you and him?" He asked, sitting on a large boulder, his face at the same height as Raewyn's. "You read books, don't you?" She asked teasingly, sitting down next to him.

"Yes, but none of them are about Ashas. I only know them because of my mother's stories." Bilbo confessed. The woman scoffed at the statement.

"You sound like Kili."

The hobbit looked at her confused, giving her the hint to continue talking. "His mother used to tell him stories about my family too. Not quite correct, I'm afraid." When she stopped talking, Bilbo spoke up again.