Mama Knows Best

Lena's POV

I got settle down in my new house and start working at the school. If I'm honest it wasn't Anchor Beach, it wasn't as beautiful and as welcoming that's for sure, but it was instead very classy and modern. It was a private school with a lot of budgets this time, allowing me to basically do as I please. The students were nice, and the staff welcomed me nicely, showing me around and putting me in the loop about what was going on at the moment, which wasn't much.

It was a private school, and it was true that most of the students were from rich families. Money wasn't a struggle for them and I'm not sure that they understand how lucky they were compared with those who could barely afford a book for school. However, they were very polite, and they knew they manners very well, some would hold the door for me, others would tell by themselves to have a good evening and to take care and I admit it was pretty charming. Not the Anchor Beach's students weren't polite, it's just that they were a certain elegance of the student from here that had taken me aback at first.

I was trying to make friend with the staff a little or at least have good relationships with them. I was feeling a bit alone here by myself, but I guess it would take time. Beside I know I can handle being alone, I'm not really a people person anyway.

"Hello Principal Adams. How is your day going?" Gwendoline, my vice-principal asked me.

She was a very nice woman, she was older than me, but didn't seem to be bother by the fact that I was her boss and that was very nice. Besides, she seems competent from what I saw so far, and I know for fact that a good vice-principal is essential to the function of a school.

"Pretty good actually, thank you. What about you?" I asked smiling at her as I enter my office and she followed me.

"Great, great. So, I wanted to ask you something, Christmas is about to come, and every year we organize a little party just for the staff and we were wondering if you would like to join the tradition?" she said, trying not to ramble since I knew she was a bit nervous around me for some reason.

"Oh, Yes, why not? It's nice of you to ask. Do I need to bring something in particular, or...?" I said softly. I was actually glad for the invite because like this maybe I could make some friends to distract me so I could forget about this one person that wouldn't leave my mind for anything.

"No, no just bring yourself and... I don't know, do you have another half?" she asked curious, and that was Gwendoline's flaw, she likes to know things about people, like she wants to know everything and sometimes it can be annoying, but I guess no one is perfect and since she's very nice, I don't mind being patient with her and not tell her off.

"Oh, no I don't, so it would be just me." I smiled again as she frowns a bit.

"Really? How is it possible that a beautiful woman like you don't have a man already?" she exclaims somewhat surprise and I guess she wasn't finished to be surprised.

No one knows I'm a lesbian here since I just arrived, and I don't make it a habit to include that information when I introduce myself.

"Well, first of all thank you. And I actually prefer women so, no men for me." I said still smiling as she paused for a second, which almost became a typical reaction, like people need a time to process this information that doesn't concern them, but anyway that's fine, I got used to it.

"Oh... Well... I'm totally fine with that." she said, like I needed her to validate me, but again I'm use to that kind of reaction, and it really doesn't worth the fight. She didn't say anything for a moment like she was waiting for me to say thank you or something, but I didn't, it wasn't necessary.