Chapter 4

Luo Wenjun kept hissing viciously and unhurriedly in "Luo Wencheng's" ear, like a cold, slithery venomous snake: "Do you like the way I arranged your death? You owe it to me. Obviously, I'm his real brother, you're just a misplaced bastard, but you are the only one in his eyes..."

He laughed softly again, "I really can't wait to see you turn into a pile of rotten meat. Do you think he'll still like you then? I'm afraid he'll be too sick to eat just thinking about you, right?"

Luo Wenjun laughed louder and louder, and suddenly tore out the oxygen tube of the man on the bed and squeezed his neck with both hands. This was his habitual pastime. Every now and then Luo Wenjun would come and torment Luo Wencheng for a while when he was in a good mood. And when he was in a bad mood, he would come even more often; watching Luo Wencheng suffer made Luo Wenjun feel that the misery he had gone through as a child, the injustice and hatred filling his heart were soothed.

He felt happy when the man on the hospital bed was in pain.

As he watched this scene, Luo Wencheng's eyes were filled with anger. He wanted to rush up and stop it but he couldn't move. He could only watch himself struggling helplessly on the bed, his face turning purple.

The moment he was almost dead, Luo Wenjun suddenly let go again and took two steps back, sneering and watching in admiration as the man on the bed panted violently. Then he gently inserted the oxygen tube again, slowly and methodically disinfected his hands and smiled, "Have a good rest, I'll see you again tomorrow."

"Ah!!!" Luo Wencheng clutched his head, blood freezing in his veins.

He thought he could face the past calmly, but seeing this scene again, he couldn't control himself. He found he could move, roared and rushed up to punch and kick Luo Wenjun, only to pass through his body and finally watch him leave the ward.

Two nurses came in silently, tidying up the bed that had been messed up by Luo Wencheng's struggles, wiping away the saliva from his mouth and rubbing his face to make his muscles relax and the hideous grimace of pain disappear.

Luo Wencheng could only watch this happen, watch himself suffer day after day, shedding tears and drooling in agony, later even unable to express his pain in a grimace because his facial muscles were paralysed.

He would become incontinent and his body would stink, the stench mixed with the smell of rotting flesh. Luo Wenhao's secretary would come a few times and honestly report the truth about his purulent sores. There seemed to be a long silence on the other end of the line, followed by orders to use the best medicine; but Luo Wenhao himself had never come.

Luo Wenjun came less and less often, but with each visit his smile grew brighter.

Finally the last day arrived and a group of people in white coats stood in front of the bed and regretfully announced the death of the patient.

Luo Wencheng floated in the air and also saw the scene after his death.

Someone wiped his body. Someone covered him with a white cloth. Many people in black suits stood solemnly on either side of the bed, and then a tall, handsome man came in, dressed particularly formally, walking steadily and casting a sombre, sad gaze at his corpse.

Luo Wenjun, also dressed in black, followed Luo Wenhao and flung himself at the bedside, crying and calling him "Second Brother this" and "Second Brother that".

Then he turned and threw his arms around Luo Wenhao, weeping, "Big Brother, Second Brother is gone! Second Brother is gone!"

Luo Wencheng watched all this blankly, floating across the room to look into Luo Wenhao's eyes. There were many complex emotions in those eyes, and then Luo Wenhao slowly lowered his eyelids, as if in pain, as if exhausted and as if relieved because he had finally gotten rid of the burden once and for all.