Chapter 40

In the surgery room, the operation was very successful.

It soon reached the finishing stage.

But the clock was ticking, approaching midnight.

Luo Wencheng was conscious because of the local anaesthetic, and looked at the bright red numbers on the electronic watch.

12:00!

He waited for a moment, the sick feeling rising from the pit of his stomach, and then...

A sharp twinge!

As if a blade had pierced him; Luo Wencheng's body tensed and his teeth clenched.

The nurse who had been paying attention to his face thought he was nervous, and smiled to comfort him: "It's almost done, it's being stitched up."

Luo Wencheng tried to smile at her too, but his smile froze before it truly appeared on his face. His brows frowned, and beads of sweat oozed on his forehead. The nurse was puzzled, and then she heard the sharp chirping of the monitor.

Heart rate and blood pressure spiked past the alert level in an instant!

Lu Chong was sitting outside the surgery room, his back straight, his deep features clearly illuminated by the lights in the corridor.

He gently rubbed the thumb and index finger of his right hand with a thoughtful look on his face, and even the shadows cast by his lowered eyelashes on his face seemed deep.

He was trying to remember what he was feeling, trying to find the source of that oddly upsetting emotion.

The medical staff who came and went didn't even dare to breathe too loudly, because this man's presence was so overwhelming and oppressive.

At this moment, the door of the surgery room opened, the people inside hurriedly came out, and then the people outside hurriedly entered, as if something unexpected had happened.

Lu Chong heard the words "Patient in Surgery Room 3".

Luo Wencheng was in Surgery Room 3!

He got up and headed for the surgery room.

"Sir, you can't go in." The head nurse boldly came up to stop him, "It's a sterile area, and family members can't go in."

Lu Chong frowned: "What happened to the patient in Surgery Room 3?"

"Mr. Lu." The assistant of the chief surgeon came out of the surgery room, "The patient wants to see you, so you can come in wearing isolating clothes."

Lu Chong suddenly thought absurdly of "seeing for the last time", and even with his strong heart, he couldn't help but flinch.

He took the isolating clothes handed over by the head nurse, without any care for the dressing procedure draped it over his body in an amateurish manner and walked inside without even putting on the shoe covers: "What's the situation? Isn't it a minor injury?"

The assistant's legs went weak at his question and he said, "The surgery was successful, very successful, but I don't know why the patient's heart rate and blood pressure suddenly turned abnormal. We tried some methods to no avail, and the patient..."

Before he could finish his sentence, Lu Chong walked into the surgery room. On the operating table, Luo Wencheng was making a fuss to get down. A circle of people around him tried to stop him. His weak, trembling voice reached Lu Chong, "I'm fine, I want to go out."

Lu Chong quickly walked over and saw that the young man's right shoulder had been stitched up and he was breathing, so he let out a sigh of relief.

At this moment, he realised that his heart was stagnant and it turned out that he was holding his breath just now.