Chapter 28

For the next two days, Luo Wencheng stayed in the villa, painting, reading and teasing the cat. Unsurprisingly, Luo Wenhao came, and came for two consecutive days, but Luo Wencheng never met with him.

On the third day, Uncle Ding, the butler, came back with something in his hands: "Mr. Luo, Luo Wenhao sent this and asked me to make sure to give it to you."

Luo Wencheng saw that it was two invitations. When he opened them, it turned out that he was invited to a reception banquet in Lu Chong's honour tomorrow night.

The other one was for Lu Chong, the honourable guest.

"A reception banquet? Will Mr. Lu go there?"

"That would be something to ask Master."

Lu Chong was going out every afternoon for the past two days. Luo Wencheng was inexperienced and if he followed, he would just be a hindrance, so he stayed quietly at home. Moreover, he could see that Lu Chong was not in a good mood every time he went out and came back, and he didn't want to annoy him.

"Then let's talk about it when Mr. Lu comes back, I'll do as he says."

Uncle Ding cheerfully put away the invitations: "Master thinks highly of Mr. Luo. It is the first time in so many years that Lao Ding has seen Master take anyone in and keep at home to protect him."

Luo Wencheng showed a hint of shyness and gratitude: "Mr. Lu is a good man. By the way, Uncle Ding, don't call me Mr. Luo, just call me Wencheng or Xiao Luo."

"Then I'll call you Xiao Luo. Alas, Master doesn't like to eat when he comes back these days, and it's useless to persuade him. So sad."

Luo Wencheng put away the book in his hand and asked in surprise, "Hasn't he eaten? When I asked him, he said he had eaten outside."

"That's for you not to worry. Master rarely eats outside. He always doesn't like to eat when he is in a bad mood. How can his health stand it?" Uncle Ding looked very concerned.

Luo Wencheng moved his lips and wanted to ask him why Lu Chong was in a bad mood, but in the end he didn't ask and said, "Can I help? Why don't I wait for Mr. Lu to come back and try to persuade him?"

He could see that the butler was telling him that for a reason, not because he was someone who liked to gossip; so he probably had an idea how Luo Wencheng could contribute.

Uncle Ding thought to himself that the child was really sensible, not asking questions he shouldn't ask, and his impression of Luo Wencheng got a little better.

"Can Xiao Luo cook?" Uncle Ding asked.

"You want me to cook for Mr. Lu? I haven't cooked much, and I don't know if I can." Luo Wencheng didn't say no. The grand gift package was there. Even if he was a beginner in cooking, he wouldn't do too badly. Moreover, in the past two days, he had nothing to contribute except for feeding and teasing the cat. Living here and eating for nothing was not okay in the long run.

Originally, he reluctantly made plans to warm Lu Chong's bed, but after two days, he was sure that Lu Chong didn't have the need in this regard. So the alternative was either to accompany Lu Chong to relieve his boredom, or help Lu Chong with something. He needed a certain position, otherwise he would be dispensable.

And now was an opportunity.

He thought for a while: "What does Mr. Lu usually prefer to eat?"

Uncle Ding said: "There is nothing Master particularly likes or dislikes. He is indifferent to everything, but he prefers to eat noodle soup when he has no appetite."

Noodles were certainly easier than a dinner of four dishes and soup with a perfect balance of meat and vegetables.

"Why don't I try? I probably won't do it well, though."