The Last Bedtime Story (Lily x James)

30th October 1981, the night before James and Lily died.

---

"Harry, not tonight, I'm really tired!" Lily told her laughing son as she tucked him into his cot. He giggled and pulled on his mother's arm as she turned away from him. "Harry! I haven't got the time!" She was teasing him causing him to kick his legs and stare up at her with adoring eyes. Secretly, she loved to read the muggle fairy tales to Harry, just like her own mother had done to her.

"Fine, one story," she walked over to the bookcase, in Harry's room, and pulled out a worn copy of The Three Little Pigs. "This was mine when I was a child, Harry. My mum used to read it to me." Harry did not know what Lily was saying, he was only one after all, but he listened intently and looked up with a curious expression upon his face all the same. "I want you to know all the muggle fairy tales, they're the best after all." Winking at him, she opened the tattered book.

Lily was reading and Harry was listening quietly when there was a creak followed by a loud bang. "James?" She called, panic edging into her voice. No answer. Gently, she pulled the blanket over Harry a little tighter and moved her hand closer to the wand stowed in her pocket. "James? James, was that you?" She stood carefully and silently closed the book...

"No! Don't do that!" A man's voice shouted, shattering the silence. Lily yelped as a mop of messy black hair rose from the ground behind the cot and a pair of bright hazel eyes, framed with rounded glasses met her own.

"James! Why would you do that? You nearly gave me a heart attack!" She shouted and James immediately realised his mistake.

"Lily, I'm sorry, I just-"

"You just what? Thought you'd terrify me? Make me think Voldermort had come for Harry or there were Death Eaters in the house?" Lily's voice was higher than ever.

"Lily, Lily! No, look we're safe!" Attempting to reassure her was pointless. The furious glint in her eyes told him it hadn't worked.

"No, we're not! We're in hiding for crying out loud!" Her cheeks had flushed as red as her long auburn hair.

"He's not going to come to Godric's Hollow, and anyway, this place is protected by loads of charms! We are okay. You, me and Harry are safe. I promise." Lily nodded reluctantly, giving him an apology.

"I... I just wanted to hear the story." James said. Lily's eyes widened.

"The story?" She smirked and James shifted uncomfortably.

"Yeah, see, I... Never got to hear muggle fairytales." Harry giggled at his dad, and he ruffled the child's short, black floppy hair, that was so much like his own.

"So, you want to hear the story of how the big bad wolf came to blow the three little pigs house down?" Lily's tone was slightly patronising but James did not seem to notice.

"Ah, does it have to be a wolf? Not all wolves are bad, you know," James flashed a grin. Lily's mind turned to Remus at the mention of wolves and a wave of worry and guilt washed over her. She hoped the others were okay. Maybe she would invite them for dinner next week, James would like that...

"Well, I'll make it a man then! And he's trying to blow the house of the three people down! Yes? That better?" Lily's tone was exasperated, even though there was a smile she was hiding. However, James's delighted grin showed his happier side. Lily loved to see that side, especially since they had been forced to go on the run. Hearing James's laugh was a rare thing now.

"Yes, sounds great," he gave Harry a thumbs up but saw he was already sleeping silently in the cot, the soft blanket wrapped tightly around him.

"You're still going to read the story, right?" He asked.

"You're such a child James Potter." Lily laughed and James leant over the cot and kissed her lightly on the nose.

"I love you Lily." He whispered and her cheeks flushed red before she whispered back-

"I love you too, James."

---------------

And then they died the next day :'( but thanks if you read it and please leave any comments or suggestions! I like feedback! Or any suggestions for other short Fanfics :)