Early Anniversaries (Lily x James)

*Lily and James are alive and they survived everything and have been married for fifteen years, it's inspired by a prompt thing I found*

Lily bit her lip and smiled as she flicked through the delicate photo album that had been discovered in the cramped and dusty attic. The small room was stuffed full with boxes and for months she'd been telling James to look through the stacks of paper and toys and sort out what they needed. He obviously hadn't listened and she'd been forced to do it herself.

As soon as she laid eyes on the tattered leather book she'd remembered it. It had been carelessly shoved inside a cardboard prison and so a grin had pulled at Lily's lips as the first crinkled page was turned and the ageing photos of her and James, roughly pasted onto the paper, stared back at her.

Every picture bought precious memories flooding back and she laughed when she found a page dedicated to their old school ones. James peered out from underneath his mop of messy black hair and his rounded face was lit up with an endearing grin, while across the page Lily smiled sweetly, her flaming red hair and dimples making her seem young and innocent.

James Potter and Lily Evans '75

The book was a document of their life starting with school and progressing onto their teenage years and even their wedding. When Lily reached the pictures of their special day she grinned. It was even more beautiful than she remembered. She squinted to read the tiny writing underneath and saw it was carefully written in black ink. It was smudged so she could only just make it out...

Mr and Mrs Potter

Married:

12/07

She gently ran her finger over the fading words and watched the two young people hugging and kissing in the churchyard while their old friends, Sirius and Remus, cheered happily behind them...

Wait what?

The twelfth of July? She thought, No, it can't be...

she flicked through the fragile pages and studied the dates below each photo. All of them added up right, all the dates seemed correct, and the years were accurate... so why...

"James!" She yelled down the stairs.

"Yeah?" He called back.

"James, come here!" Heavy footsteps echoed up the stairs and a few moments later he appeared behind her, panting slightly.

"What's wrong, Lils?" He asked, pushing his glasses back up his nose.

"Well-" She didn't finish her sentence, but burst into a fit of giggles instead, as she passed him the leather book.

"Will you stop cackling like a witch!" He complained as he took it from her hands.

"I am a witch!" James frowned before muttering,

"Oh yeah, fair enough."

"W-when's our anniversary James?" Lily asked a minute later between laughs. James's eyed widened with panic as he searched his brains. He didn't understand why she was laughing. If he got this wrong, Lily would kill him. Maybe that's what she found so funny.

"Uh... It's the...The... it's in July isn't it? The eleventh! That's it, Why? It's only April, surely I'm not meant to have gotten you a present yet!" He protested but Lily shook her head and pointed to the smudged words scrawled beneath the photo. He held it close to his eyes and read out what it said, slowly.

"Mr and Mrs Potter... Married... Twelfth of July..." He looked up at her, puzzled, and Lily couldn't help but notice how he hadn't aged much. He still looked very similar to the all of the pictures in the album, apart from the few silver flecks that were now threaded throughout his dark hair.

"Yup." She answered.

"The twelfth?"

"Mhm."

"But that would mean..."

"That we've been celebrating our anniversary a day early for the past fifteen years? Yes, it would." He stared at her for a few seconds and she stared right back.

"Oh my..." James whispered before they both broke into a fit of laughter.

"This can't be serious! How did we get it wrong? For fifteen years!" Lily snorted as she leant on James.

"I have no idea but I don't care, I suppose it doesn't really matter."

"James!" She cried, smoothing down her long hair.

"No, I mean, we still celebrated our love for each other or whatever just... on the wrong day! We were so eager we decided it should... be a day earlier."

"I think that you were trying to be romantic there but it was incredibly hard to tell," she teased.

"Well, let's pretend I am shall we?" James chuckled and tucked a strand of copper hair behind her ear.

"Okay then, just for you," Lily whispered, still grinning, as he planted a soft kiss on her forehead.

-----

thanks for reading :)