Moony

Remus rubbed his shoulders and winced as his fingers traced the fresh cuts engraved on his arms and neck. He ached everywhere and his muscles burned as if a raging fire was trapped inside. He walked slowly towards the Gryffindor common room, it was past midnight and he was sure none of his friends would be awake now.
The fat lady awoke when he reached her and complained, about the late hour; she screeched when she opened her eyes.
"Oh my! What ever happened to you, boy?"
"Nothing, I'm fine, can I go in please?" He asked wearily. The fat lady said nothing and swung open without requesting the password. Remus crept across the common room and tip toed upstairs to his dormitory, pausing every few steps. Madame Pomfrey always did her best to heal him but it didn't stop all of the pain and the exhaustion that came from tearing your body apart once a month.

He quietly shuffled into the pitch black dormitory, closing the door silently behind him. Stopping and listening carefully he heard nothing.
He felt in his pockets for his wand and pulled it out, muttering,
"Lumos."
A yelp escaped his lips as the bright light shone on three faces staring at him.
"Good morning." They said in unison.
"What the hell are you doing!" Remus shouted, clutching his chest.
"We could ask you the same thing! Where were you and why are you creeping around at two in the morning?" James said to him, the light from the wand reflecting in his glasses. Remus blushed and mumbled an inaudible answer as he lowered his wand from their faces.

Sirius turned a lamp on and Remus walked over to his bed and sat down, not looking at his friends. He stayed silent and solemnly stared at his hands but James, Sirius and Peter suddenly began to laugh.
"You must think we're stupid!" James scoffed. Remus looked up, his confusion painted onto his features.
"What? No I don't, when did I say that?"
"So what was it this time? Is your great, great cousin twice removed and thrice divorced ill?" Sirius flailed his arms dramatically. "Or maybe your secret twin has been eaten by a hippogriff?" Panic struck as the boys laughed and asked about his previous whereabouts.
"No! Why are you saying that? My mother was ill, she gets si-"
"Remus, Remus. We know, okay?" Peter said calmly. His heart was pounding as he heard this. He looked around, it wouldn't take long to pack he thought. He'd pick up his things and just chuck it all the case... He could be out of everyone's way in half an hour...

"You know what? What do you know?" Great job at sounding innocent Remus, he told himself.
"Where you go and why." Sirius replied.
"How? I mean, I don't know what you're talking about," he mumbled, desperately trying to save himself.
"Remus, we know you're a Werewolf." Sirius said it quietly, and Remus threw his head into his hands. No he thought. Everything had been going so well for so long, he had friends and was happy, something he'd never expected. His problem, for the first time ever, was not so much of a problem but more of an issue that he just had to keep very quiet.

"How!" He cried after a few moments, eyes wide.
"Well you disappear every month at the full moon, you make terrible excuses for why you go, that not even the dumbest Slytherin could believe, you are covered in cuts and bruises," he folded his arms self consciously, "we ask you where you go and you make up terrible stories because you are a terrible liar and also we heard howling in the grounds not long after you'd ran off... Need we go on?" The words tumbled from Sirius's mouth but he did not look angry or disgusted, he looked quite amused.
"You weren't supposed to find out!" Remus sat up, dragged his trunk from under his bed and opened it. He did it with a lot of force and a small whimper escaped him; his healing wounds still ached.

"What d'you think you're doing?" James demanded as he kicked the lid shut.
"Packing."
"Why?"
"Because once this gets out no one is going to want me here! It's best I leave now!" The fear showed in his voice, his hands were shaking as he picked up his possessions and clothes.
"Woah,woah,woah,woah,woah! Gets out? Who else knows?" James said.
"No one... I think, just you three. And the teachers, well some of them."
"So you think we are going to tell everyone?"
"Aren't you?" He asked.
"Of course not! What do you think we are!"
"You don't... Hate me?"
"Hate you? Of course we don't! Don't be an idiot, how could we hate you?" Sirius cried as he sat on the bed next to him.
"Because.. I'm a monster." He mumbled his reply with a sad look in his eye.
"Look, Lupin, you iron your socks, you sleep with a teddy and frankly... you are just a massive nerd, so please accept my sincerest apologies if I'm not actually that terrified of you." Remus swallowed hard as he raised his head. He didn't know what to say, he knew they were best friends but he never dreamed they would be so accepting of someone... like him.

"So, stop being stupid and get some rest because, to be honest, you look awful."
"Yeah you do actually." Peter agreed with a smile and Remus chuckled nervously.
"Thank you guys, it really means a lot for you to think like that."
"Hey, Moony, you're our best friend and friends don't give up on each other just because they're a little different." James told him with a smile and Sirius nodded in agreement. Remus's grin showed his relief and he nodded his thanks causing his messy brown hair to fall in his eyes. The other boys tuned to go back to their beds and Remus pushed the heavy case back under the bed. He stopped and frowned.

"Wait a second, what did you call me?"
"Moony."
"Moony?"
"Oh yeah we decided that's your new nickname, hope you like it but if you don't tough!" James winked and hopped onto his bed.

"Now if you don't mind Moony I'm going to get some sleep." And he turned the lamp off and the room was dark again. Moony, he thought. Well I can deal with a nickname... It could have been much worse he thought as he layed back on his pillows and shut his eyes, smiling.

-----------------------------------------

Thanks for reading and thanks to all the voters! <3 Not one of the best but please comment what you thought! :D