Truth or Dare

"So, Prongs, which one is it?" Sirius taunted, twirling the small clear bottle between his fingers.

"Truth," James replied, a smug look twisting his features.

"Truth? Well then, better drink up." He threw the glass vial to James, who deftly caught it and opened the cap. Slowly, he drank the clear liquid and turned to Sirius again with a defiant smile.

"Right then Prongs, is it true you love Evans?" A horrified look washed over James's face, causing the other three boys to laugh.

"Yes!" James blurted out, his cheeks flushing red as he held his hands over his mouth. It was pointless; nothing could stop the Veritaserum from forcing the truth out. "I love her, she is beautiful and lovely and I want her to marry me!" Sirius and Remus were howling with laughter, whilst Peter could hardly breathe.

"Knew it! You can't keep secrets from us, Stag boy!"

"Shut it, Padfoot. It wasn't a secret," He muttered angrily, crossing his arms.

"You liking her wasn't but wanting to marry her was!" He sniggered.

"Who's next?" Remus asked, as he wiped his eyes.

"Me." James unfolded his arms and smiled. As he spoke, a mischievous glint lit up his eyes. "Truth or dare?" He asked Sirius and he got his reply without a moment's hesitation.

"Dare."

Silently, the Marauders crept down the corridor. The Slytherin common room wasn't far, from where they had been holding their party, and so the treasured Invisibility Cloak was not accompanying them on this prank. Peter was the lookout, peaking around each corner and scanning the hallways for teachers. There was no one to be seen and no one could be heard; apart from the odd, grumpy portrait. "Put that light out!" One elderly wizard had shouted, to which James had replied with a rather rude phrase. He waved the bright tip of his wand around with a grin until Remus slapped his hand down and gave him a lecture on respecting 14th Century Wizards.

Abruptly, Peter stopped and Sirius fell backwards, hissing as Peter spun on his heels. "Wormtail!" He shouted as James caught him and they both stumbled.

"What are you doing!" James hissed, thrashing his head back to try and push his glasses back up his nose.

"Someone's coming!" Peter whispered and Remus took James's wand, whispering 'Nox' immediately. They held their breath, pressed against the wall, in hope that the wanderer would pass by the other way and not discover them. Remus threw Sirius a disapproving look and silently cursed James for not bringing that stupid cloak, like he did every other time.

"Hello?" A girl's voice called out into the darkness.

"Lily?" James said and immediately a hand smacked into his face. Sirius held his friend' mouth shut, furious at him for giving them away.

"Potter? Is that you? What are you doing up!" The footsteps quickened and the stream of light from her wand quickly illuminated the boy's faces. "Potter! Wha... You are Head Boy! You're supposed to set an example!" She told him, in a raised whisper. Her red hair was shining in the light and her cheeks were flushed pink with rage. James grinned at her, causing a smirk to grace Sirius's face, but it soon left when she clapped her hands in front of him.

"Oh, what? Evening Evans, may I say you do look lovely tonight," the faintest flicker of surprise flashed in her eyes but she quickly regained her icy composure.

"No, you may not say. What are you doing, James? You kn-" Just as his eyes widened, and he asked whether Lily had actually called him James -not Potter - she broke out into a fit of coughs.

"No! I calle-" More coughs caused her to choke and she turned away angrily. Sirius stepped forward with a small smile.

"Hey, Lily?"

"What!" She snapped. Sirius offered her a bottle of clear liquid and quickly she took it, after frowning at him for a few seconds. Her need was greater than her suspicion and so she gulped a few mouthfuls immediately. Remus glared at Sirius and Peter glanced between them. Shaking his head, Remus tapped his wand against his thigh, his mouth a thin tight line, and Sirius took the bottle from Lily's hands.

"Thanks, Black," she said, tucking a strand of fiery red behind her ear.

"Do you like James?" Remus pressed his hands to his forehead and James stared at Sirius.

"Padfoot, what are you doing?" He said, embarrassment washing over him. Of course Lily knew how he felt about her, he'd made that clear with the seven times he'd serenaded her on Head Boy/Girl duty that term. But the prospect of being shot down right there and looking stupid sent his heart racing. What was Sirius doing?

Lily's eyes widened and her lips turned white with pressure. Tightly, she clenched her jaw, staring Sirius directly in the eye. She was a panther, ready to strike, and a spring ready to uncoil and release her anger on the boys. Her green eyes were livid as she cocked her head and opened her mouth," What?" She asked and the question looked as if it pained her.

"Do you like James? Or Potter, as you so like to call him." Sirius repeated himself and Peter frowned before the realisation dawned on him.

"Veritaserum!" The boys sighed at Peter's slowness but Lily kept her gaze locked on Sirius, her cheeks positively glowing.

"Of course I don't... Don..." she struggled against the potion, but it was no use. "Do" was the next thing they heard and horror washed over her, and surprise over the boys. Had they heard right? She did like him? Sirius clapped and Remus smiled but Lily folded her arms, looking down at the floor. Sirius knew that he would be in trouble for this, that it would likely land him with a detention from her, but he didn't care. Maybe now James knew the truth he would stop moping around the common, room declaring his unrequited love, after every lesson they had with her.

"You do like me?" James asked, not able to contain a genuine smile.

"That's what I said isn't it, Potter?" Lily muttered, averting her eyes from his.

"Well, this is a development."

"Hm." She ran her fingers through her bright hair and tapped her foot. "Well I guess there's only one thing for it." James thrust his hands into his pockets and glanced at his friends who's face were showing emotions ranging from disbelieving to smug.

"What's that?" He asked.

"I will have to go on that damn date to Hogsmeade." She smiled and quickly walked away, her red hair the last thing to fade into the darkness of the corridor.

James turned to Sirius. "You git. I hate yo-" Sirius gasped, interrupting him, and clutched his shirt in the place where his heart was.

"Prongs! That hurts!" He claimed dramatically.

"Let me finish!" James yanked Sirius's hand away from his chest and Peter laughed. "But I also love you. And you two idiots as well," he turned to Remus and pulled him under his arm and grinned at Peter too. "I suspect you lot had a lot to do with this. Thank to you lot I have a date with miss Evans." The boys laughed and after a silent cheer they made their ways back to the dormitory, the prank planned for Snape erased from their minds.

-------

This is pretty long, seeing as in I'm not in a writing mood, but oh well! I hope you liked it anyway :) thanks for your reads/votes/comments! I love you all!

Please check out my other wiring if you haven't already <3 it means a lot