Boggarts

"Boggarts!" Shouted Professor Lupin, over the rowdy class. "Today we shall be studying them using a direct approach and vanquishing them. Can anybody tell me what a Boggart actually is?"

Draco Malfoy was leaning against the wall, trying his best to appear cold and aloof, but his heart was pounding hard in his chest. He knew exactly what a Boggart was and he knew what his Boggart would be and it was not something he was prepared to show the class. He kept his eyes on the floor and gritted his teeth when the Granger girl blurted out a, word for word, perfect answer.

"Well done, Miss Granger. Have ten points for Gryffindor." Draco rolled his eyes and Crabbe and Goyle smirked.
"Will you all repeat the incantation after me, 'Riddikulus'."

"This class is ridiculous," he muttered, earning a fleeting laugh from his friends. The sly smirk that was etched onto his face was short lived and was quickly replaced by a furrowed brow and an almost punctured lip. He watched as one by one the students faced their demons and with each step closer to the cabinet, and each time the music changed, Draco's heart pounded faster. He couldn't let everyone see this, what would he change it into? Everyone had laughed at Neville's Boggart, but only because Snape had ended up in his Grandma's clothes. Draco had a feeling that doing the same with his one wouldn't have quite the same effect.

Panic set in and he tried to shuffle to the back of the queue, as if he would trick Professor Lupin into thinking he'd had his turn.
"Mr Malfoy? Are you alright?" The teacher called and Draco turned to find he was at the front of the, now very short, line. He gulped and ran his hand over his thick blond hair, racking his brains for an excuse as to why he couldn't do it, but no answer came to him.
"Come on then, don't be shy. Turn your fear into something you can laugh about!" The Professor was cheerful but it only made draco feel sick. The music echoed in his ears and the chattering and excited laughing of the rest of the class burned into his head. He was about to be humiliated. It's not something people would forget, not something he would forget.

Nodding, he stepped forward and drew his wand. The handle felt as if it might slip from his grip at any second as his sweaty palms tightened around it.
"Ready?" Lupin asked quietly, and Draco nodded again, even though he was definitely not ready.

The clouds of mist swirled before him and he watched as it began to take shape. The other students in the classroom gasped and recoiled as dark, flowing robes swirled into existence and a black iron mask was carved out of thin air. Draco closed his eyes and cursed his mind  for having such a stupid fear. Except it wasn't stupid. Not to him.

His cheeks were burning, the heat was rising and spreading across his face as the cloaked figure stepped towards him. As it approached, the hairs on his neck stood up and he watched as strands of silvery blond hair blended in with the black tendrils of mist that formed the figure's robes.
"Now, now Draco. Are you going to do as you are told? Or are you going to continue questioning the Dark Lord's orders?" The icy voice whispered as the mask faded and Lucius Malfoy smiled down grimly. Shame coursed through Draco as he stood and stared at his father. The music had stopped and the class was silent, watching the Death Eater interrogate him. It felt as if a hundred years had passed when Draco realised he was frozen with a look of shock painted onto his face and a lump in his throat, stopping him from talking.

"Riddikulus!" He muttered, in a feeble attempt to make the Boggart funny and disappear. Nothing happened and the cold stare continued to pierce him. How could he make this funny? A Death Eater? An evil man? Who showed no compassion to anyone, not even his own child?

Frustration and embarrassment washed over him and he lowered his wand, not knowing what to do. It was his father! He was afraid of his own father. He could only imagine what people would say about him, about the Malfoy's, after hearing this. What would... Potter Say? He turned and looked at Lupin as Lucius laughed and stroked his son's cheek sinisterly with the tip of his wand. Draco recoiled and peeled his eyes away from the cold grey eyes that locked back onto his and watched as the Professor raised his wand. "Riddikkulus!" He shouted and the Boggart transformed into a pearly globe before disappearing completely. Before he could hear a word or insult from anyone, Lupin dismissed the class and they left quickly, chattering and whispering, but sending the tension and humiliation that Draco felt away.

Professor Lupin did not speak. He rested a comforting hand on his shoulder and smiled slightly. He knew all to well how children that grew up in the homes of Dark Wizard's felt and he knew how they could turn and betray those closest to them with ease. He only hoped that this boy would use his fear to avoid that.

Draco looked away, his mouth pressed into a hard line, and sighed. Wishing the flush on his cheeks and the sick feeling in his stomach would fade as Lupin reached into his pocket and bought out a small chocolate bar and placed it on the desk next to him.
"It'll make you feel better," he said softly. Draco turned but the shabby, kind Professor had already left. Closing his mouth, he listened as the record played its last few notes before fading out into the sound of just a needle on vinyl.

He walked over to the desk, and picked up the chocolate, and smiled. Just because his father didn't care about him, just because he was afraid of his father, didn't mean he had to be the same as him , did it? He hoped not, but he feared the answer was just the opposite. It wasn't just his father he was afraid of. He was just a part of it, the one forcing him to be a person he didn't want to be. What Draco really feared, above all, was that he would have no choice. No choice but to be bad, to be evil. Pocketing the chocolate, he shuddered as he looked towards the cabinet and then left the empty classroom as fast as he could.

------------
Hahaha, what the hell was that. I don't care if I'm bring a Remus it failed XD Oh well. It's better than nothing. I have a request to do next and I'll try and get that done soon! Thanks for voting/reading/commenting!! I haven't updated in a while so I doubt anyone is even still here... *waves into the darkness calling hello* :) bye