New Year

31st December, 1980

"Remus! Remus, come here!" Sirius yelled, beckoning the sandy haired boy in the flashing Christmas jumper towards him. Remus walked over to the dark haired boy at an agonisingly slow pace, with a smirk on his face.
"Moooony! Hurry up!" Sirius shouted.
"Alright, calm down," Remus hissed, when he was only a few steps away.
"What the hell is that?" Sirius pointed to the jumper with a look of shock and disgust. "You have no sense of style. It's not even Christmas!"
"Hush, grinch. It was Christmas last week, I'm still allowed to wear it."
As Remus closed the gap between them he saw Sirius's dark hair was messy as always, but he looked even more dishevelled than usual. His cheeks were flushed pink and his eyes were brighter.
He looked happy, Remus thought, and it made him grin wider when he realised; despite the insult about his festive fashion choices.
"Fine. But you're late! We were beginning to think you'd miss th-" Sirius began to speak again but Remus pressed a finger to his lips, silencing him immediately.
"I am aware of my punctuality, or lack thereof, thank you, Padfoot. I don't need you pointing it out any more." He smiled as Sirius pulled a face and flicked the finger over his lips away.
"Don't touch me, wolf boy! Just get inside and see the baby."
"Harry's awake?" Remus asked, surprised an almost newborn child would be awake so late.
"I was talking about James but yes, Harry's awake too."
Both of them laughed as they quickly walked inside The Potter's house, a wave of warmth embracing them as they went.

***

It was nearly time.

James grinned and held Lily in his arms. He had never looked happier, Remus thought. It was a beautiful sight, seeing them both like that. Lily's eyes were shining and James's cheeks were flushed, but neither of them cared.

Peter was dancing. A red haired girl Remus didn't recognise was holding onto him, laughing wildly and ruffling the chubby boy's blond hair. Peter looked content. Happy and content; not worrying about what he looked like or who was watching him, and it warmed Remus's heart to see him that way for once. Without burdens and without troubles.

Little Harry was surrounded by people with twinkles in their eyes and smiles on their faces. Every one of them was holding a bottle of Butterbeer - apart from Alice Longbottom who was holding Frank's hand. Most were admiring the baby but Alice and Frank were always admiring each other. It was what Remus and anyone else would have expected, as it was nothing new, but it filled him with happiness just as much.

When he looked around in that final minute before clocks everywhere struck twelve, he got that feeling. The special rare feeling that happens only when you're paying attention to everything around you. When you're appreciating everything you can see. He was living in that moment, feeling everything, and it was the best feeling that he'd had for a while.

It was a dark time they were all living in but none of his friends looked sad. In the past few years things had been hard and Remus knew it more than most.
Pain was not a word to describe it. He'd felt it in every way, but right now they were all alive and smiling and Remus questioned whether he'd ever felt any of it. He was almost forgetting about the problems facing the wizarding world and starting afresh in that moment.

The feeling was tingly and it spread through Remus like a wildfire. A desire to carry on and begin again, so strong that a grin broke out across his face just as 'Ten!' was screamed by two tall black boys, across the garden.

Colourful sparks flew in all directions, whizzing and popping, sending fire bursting and light dancing across every face around him.
'Nine! Eight!'
James swept Lily into his arms and kissed her, and the girl swinging Peter around, by his tie, pulled him close and did the same. Couples were kissing and friends were screaming and laughing as together the voices shouted 'Zero!'

It was 1981.

It had been two seconds but it already felt like a great year to Remus. It felt like a year for change and as Sirius jumped into his arms laughing and clinging onto his Werewolf best friend, as tightly as he could, Remus was sure the only changes happening would be good ones.

"Happy New Year, Moony!"
"Careful, Sirius! You'll rip your leather jeans!" Remus shouted sarcastically.
"I love you, you know that? You're my bestest friend, along with those two." Sirius pointed to James and lost his grip on Remus's neck, sending him stumbling backwards.
Remus squealed, grabbing Sirius's arm and pulling him up.
"Watch it you moron, and stop being soppy! I love you too, in the most platonic way a best friend can." Both of them laughed harder and ran to join James (who had just managed to put Lily down, realising his child was being passed around by everyone they knew) with their smiles wild and their hearts beating fast.
Everything felt perfect. They had everything to gain, nothing to lose. It was going be a good year. A really good year; Remus could feel it in his bones.

---
Long A/N:

Lol joke they all died. They had everything to lose actually whoops. Remus's wolfie senses were WRONG.

That was evil, my apologies.

Also, this is dedicated to That-One-Book-Lover  because she went away for a while and I missed our conversations about random fandom stuff. So yeah. Have this piece of trash in the form of words, two . ;)

Right, this is kind of bad but I'm tired and not in the mood to write but I haventupdatedproperlyinagessohereyougo!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 💫✨💥
*grabs your hand and sings Aud Lang Syne or whatever it's called*
I love you all so much and I am proud of you all for getting through 2015.
2016 is going to be a good year, I feel it (hopefully I'm not wrong, like Remus). I wish you all the best and I hope everything is brilliant for every one of you this year.

Thank you for 30k views, by the way! That's insane. Really. I am proud we've all come this far.

Also:

If any of you need anyone to talk to this year, I am here.
If you have anything you need to rant about, I am also here - anytime! I don't wants any of you to be sad.

Tell me how 2015 was for you? Any resolutions for 2016? :)

Finally, you should all listen to 'I Lived' by OneRepublic because I found it earlier and it's got a good feel to it and makes me think of seizing life, etc, which I hope we all will do this year.

Good luck, my friends, I'll be back soon.

<3