Apology

The door closed and Vernon Dursley pulled his son out of their house and towards the car. Dudley didn't know why but he didn't want to leave. He resisted against his parent's strong grip and stood still, staring at the house.
"What are you doing, you stupid boy? It's dangerous, come on!" His father shouted but he didn't listen. He shook his mother's hands off of his shoulders and turned around.
"No, stop telling me what to do all the time! You shouldn't have treated him like that." What was going on? He just said 'shouldn't have treated Harry like that'. He hated Harry, so why was guilt and anger raging through him?

It was the last time the Dursleys would see Harry and the most they'd done is shake his hand and leave. It wasn't right. All of those years of bullying and abuse were creeping up on him and he knew he had to go back to try and make it right.

He sprinted back to the house with his mother and father hissing frantically behind him. As he burst through the front door, Harry turned and frowned.
"Dudley?"
"Harry," He panted.
"Why have you come back? Forgotten something, like your brain maybe?" He was making insulting remarks because he was concerned that Dudley had called him by his actual name and not a cruel nickname, like usual.
"For you. To talk to you, I mean." He felt stupid, Harry hated him and he was supposed to hate Harry. But his younger cousin didn't laugh or make a snide remark this time, he merely nodded.
"I... I don't know why I'm back here. I don't know what it is that made me come back, but I had to." Harry looked at him confused but didn't speak. "I didn't like the way they said goodbye, it's not fair. We may not have ever seen eye to eye-"
"Yeah, all that punching me and locking me in a cupboard sort of prevented that." He interrupted but there was a hint of a smile on his face. Dudley bit his lip and the corners of his mouth twitched.
"Yeah, I suppose it did. But I want to apologise to you, for the... punching, and the way you were treated and for everything. Anything you can think of, I apologise for because I didn't mean it. I don't think you're a waste of space or any of the other stuff I said." Dudley was being kind. Harry frowned, almost convinced the boy was under the Imperius Curse or on drugs.
"Dudley... do you mean that or is this another joke?"
"I mean it, I feel guilty and I want you to know that I'm sorry and feel bad, seeing as in we won't see each other again."
"Thanks, but I thought we hated each other." Both of them laughed nervously. 
"Yeah, me too. Guess even evil cousins and annoying wizards can be wrong," They both smiled as they stared at each other. It was as if the years of hatred and differences between them was being settled. They certainly didn't love each other but they were agreeing to let everything go and forgive one another.
"I guess so."
"Harry, I better get back before they start shouting or I'll be the one under the stairs."
"I don't think you will be, and I hope not. It's not something I'd wish on anyone," He smiled and Dudley chucked.
"Not even Voldymorter, or whatever his name is?"
"Well, maybe him but not many other people," He grinned and took a few steps closer to Dudley.
"Goodbye then, Big D."
"Goodbye, little squirt."
"Stay safe, okay? Wouldn't want you to grow another pig tail."
"Yeah, you too. Wouldn't want my stupid cousin to get another scar from Voldymorter. It'll be a cloud shape or something next time." Harry shook his head and held out a hand but Dudley pushed it away and pulled him into an awkward embrace that he quickly regretted. Harry opened his mouth to speak (or scream, he wasn't quite sure) but Dudley silenced him.
"Not a word or I'll snap your wand."
He closed his mouth and endured the painful and sweaty hug. When Dudley let go Harry smiled. Dudley nodded, and turned and left without another word.

For the first time in his life, Harry didn't feel like he hated his cousin and for the first time in Dudley's life, he didn't feel like he hated Harry.

---------
I always thought Dudley had more to say at this part... Thanks for reading :) Sorry if there are any mistakes, I didn't go back and check it much