Alone

Her eyes shone with tears in the dim light, as she stared out into the darkness. The night was bitter cold and a howling wind was tearing into the house, shaking the fragile glass of the window panes. Despite the storm, there was little cloud and Tonks could see glimpses of the stars peeking down from above, forcing their way through the wisps of white.

Gazing up, she traced the patterns they created against their inky backdrop and tried hard to remember the constellations. Astronomy was never an interesting subject to her at school, so she was left to ponder over the names and blink back the tears burning her eyes.

One star was especially bright but she couldn't bring herself to stare directly at it; it had been that way for a while. Sirius pierced the sky, outshining the surrounding lights, and it hurt. It had been a while since he'd been cruelly snatched from them but the full ache that pained her chest had not faded. In fact, it was worse now. Worse now Remus had left because the anger, pain and sadness blended together. It was like a fire.

Tonks pulled a strand of her now mousy brown hair from behind her ear and tugged at it, wrapping it nervously around her shaking fingers. The nails that were usually so neat were reduced to almost nothing; bitten and chewed until they were raw. It had been four days since the full moon and not one message had she received from him. No harm had come to him; Molly had told her. An owl had been sent, bringing news, and Tonks hadn't slept since.

He'd left. For how long, she didn't know.
But it didn't matter.
Remus has still left her. Left them.

Her eyes stopped tracing the stars and her fingers found her swollen stomach. The child needs their dad, she thought to herself. I need him, she admitted quietly. It stung, but it was the truth. Tonks wanted Remus more than anything, but the problem was that Remus didn't want her. Not anymore.

---
*set when Remus tries to go off and go horcrux hunting with Harry*

Thank you for reading! Sorry it's been a while but I hope you enjoy this little thing!

Have a lovely day! <3

P.S, In my 'debate' book (never was much of a debate book tbh) should I start to interact with you more, maybe ask fave albums, artists, films, etc. I think it'd be a nice way for people to make friends... What do you think?