Four Words (James x Lily)

"James, you're being an idiot!" Lily cried. He hid his smile as he stormed in front of her, hands in his pockets and messy black hair blowing in the wind. The romantic walk he had tried to take her on had not... quite gone to plan. Sneaking off to Hogsmeade under his cloak is what he had proposed but Lily had been extremely reluctant to go outside in the bitter cold and complained as he dragged her out of the Great Hall and away from her warm roast dinner. She had told him that she had Potions essays to finish and that going wandering with him was the last thing she needed to do with N.E.W.T.S coming up so soon. His romance filled plans had changed once she'd shouted this at him and spoiled the mood, and to be honest now she was chasing him down the hill angrily, he didn't have a plan at all. Just something to say and a stomach full of butterflies.

"James! Look, you wanted me to come out here and now I'm here you're ignoring me! I was just saying I don't see why I should be forced to go on this stupid trip in mid winter!" He continued to stride away in front of her and heard her hurrying to keep up. Chasing me for once, he thought with a smug smile.

"Oi! Forgive me if I didn't want to be yanked into the icy waters by the giant squid on the way, will you slow down! You said we'd go under the cloak! If someone in the shop sees us then we're as good as dead!" He glanced over his shoulder and saw her glaring at him. Her cheeks and nose were bright pink and her red hair was tangled and windswept.

She looked beautiful.

He stopped abruptly in the dense trees not far from Hogsmeade and decided the place would do. Lily took the opportunity to hurry and catch up with him. Taking a deep breath, James closed his eyes, terrified, and he forced himself to look furious. He spun around.
"Look, Evans, I've got four words for you!" He hissed.
"Yeah?" She retorted, panting slightly.
"Yeah!"
"Fine! Spit it out, Potter."
His expression changed and he grinned at her, then everything seemed to happen at once.
He whipped out a small black box from his coat pocket and dropped to one knee in front of her.
"Will you marry me?" All traces of anger disappeared and her eyes began to sparkle with tears.
"What? James, are you serious?" She whispered, emotions overwhelmed her and she clasped her hands to her mouth in shock.
"No, I'm James, I thought you'd know that by know, we have been going out for a few years now." He tried to make a joke because it was all he could do to stop his nerves from making him faint. His heart was pounding hard in his chest as he waited for her answer, praying to Merlin that she would say yes.

It's going to be no, what the hell was I thinking, oh my God. Merlin, please let it be a yes, I swear I'll never hex Snivellus again...

"Yes!" She screamed, "Yes, yes, yes, yes, of course I'll marry you!" She threw herself into his arms and James silently dared any man on Earth to say they had a wider smile than him in that moment.

She said yes?

He couldn't believe his luck, he stood, squeezing the beautiful girl that he loved so much in his arms and kissed her like each one was his last.

All of those years he'd chased her, all of those times he'd begged her for a date, for a chance. He never once dreamed she'd even want a first date to Hogsmeade, let alone want to spend the rest of their lives together.

He sighed with happiness as she looked up at him. He slid the little diamond engagement band carefully onto her ring finger, both of them grinning like idiots.

"I love you, Lily." He whispered, his voice wavering, which would be embarrassing but it was Lily, and around Lily he didn't care.
"I love you too, James." She replied, a smile on her face and happy tears in her eyes and that's when he knew.

He'd finally got her.

-----------
Jily!!! <3 I don't know if I read a prompt or a story that had James taking Lily on a walk to propose... I can't remember, I feel like I have but I don't know where from! If it is then I am sorry to whoever had the idea!! But if not then it came from my head

I hope you enjoyed it XD