A Father That Loves His Son

Draco sat patiently at the long dining room table, waiting for his father to come home. He had sat for hours swinging his legs back and forth with boredom but there had been no sign of Lucius coming back any time soon.

"Mother, when is father coming home?" He asked quietly when Narcissa walked across the room.

"I have told you, I do not know Draco," He sighed and banged his head on the table's mahogany surface, "why don't you go and play with your birthday gifts?" Shaking his head, he slid down from the tall chair and stalked out of the room. Where was he? Where's my father? He was meant to be there at midday and it was now half past nine. Narcissa had told him to go to bed but, as it was his birthday, she had tried a blind eye and he had been allowed to stay up and wait.

Standing on his tip toes, he stretched and peered out of the window. The sky was dark, save the faint hints of orange and purple that lingered where the last rays of sun were disappearing over the horizon. Darkness is all he saw and not a sign of Lucius. He bit his lip and slowly went back to the table, his shoulders hunched and his heart heavy. It was his seventh birthday! Surely he would be coming... he wouldn't miss it. Well, that's what he told himself, anyway.

Half past ten and Draco was yawning. He looked up at the clock with watering eyes and tried unsuccessfully to tell the time.

"Mother?" He called. Narcissa came into the room, weary from her son's constant questions and angry her husband had not returned.

"Yes, Draco?" She snapped.

"Does the clock say half past nine?" He mumbled, squinting up at it.

"No, it says half past ten." She sighed, looking at her little son's tired and disappointed face and, feeling a pang of sadness and guilt, walked over to him and pulled him gently off of the chair.
"Draco, I think you should go to bed now, you're very tired and I don't think your father will be coming back tonight." She explained carefully.

"But it's my birthday, why not?" He gazed up at her, his grey eyes questioning.

"I don't know." She tried to keep the venom out of her voice and hide the anger she felt towards Lucius but she wasn't successful. Draco flinched and pouted.

"Okay then." His whisper was barely audible.

Just as she spoke, the door opened with a loud click and the sound of howling wind and rain filled the air. Lucius Malfoy strode arrogantly into the room. His pale face was framed by long platinum hair, straight despite the brutal wind, and his cold grey eyes were piercing as he scanned the room.

"Why is the boy still up?" He hissed, not looking at his son.

"He was waiting for you!" Narcissa retorted, anger etched onto her pale and tired face. "We both were, why are you so late?" She demanded and Lucius's eyes narrowed.

"Father! I've been wai-" Draco interrupted and was ready to run over to him, expecting to be wished a Happy Birthday and given a pat on the head, at least.

"Quiet boy!" His father shouted and Draco fell silent inmediately. He looked down at the floor sadly as his father told his mother where'd he'd been and why he had not returned earlier.

"Very late meeting, was it?" He heard his mother spit but he was no longer paying attention. As they argued he slipped away silently; not that there was a need to be quiet as they would not notice, or care, if he was gone.

As he was heading for his bedroom, the family house elf passed him. Draco considered kicking it but saw it limping along, hunched and exhausted, and decided not to.

A mixture of sadness and disappointment that he had waited all of that time to then be told "be quiet" filled him and so he let the ragged elf pass unharmed. Lucius wasn't an affectionate man by any means but Draco, being his own child, had at least expected a hug...

No.

He hadn't. deep down he knew he wouldn't get it but the hope had kept him awake, kept him waiting for hours, but he saw now: it was pointless.

"It's my birthday y'know." The house elf stared at him with wide blue eyes, shocked that one of his masters had addressed him so casually. Draco was angry with himself that he was conversing with it, and decided to ensure he got him into trouble for something later to make up for it, but right now who else did he have?

"Happy birthday, master Malfoy." The servant said as it bowed its head low. "Is there anything the young man requests or... needs?" He stared at the creature for a few seconds, listening to the shouting that echoed through the house from the dining room. It was his fault they were arguing, he shouldn't have bothered staying up or wasted his time asking where his father was.

He turned to go to his chambers, deflated and upset. Happy birthday Draco, he thought. Another year, another lonely birthday. Even the house elf wished it to you, and your own father didn't.

He walked off hearing the creature stalk away into the shadows, probably back towards the kitchens and then he stopped.

There was something he wanted, more than the stupid presents he had received, more than sweets and toys, and power and wealth. Something the house elf couldn't give him, something it seemed no one could give him.

"Actually there is something I want, you can't give it to me though," The elf turned again, bowing his head to the ground.

"Don't be too sure, I am bound to my masters and must do anything for you, what is it Master Draco?" The elf asked with outstretched hands. Draco bit his lip and his brows knitted together as he quietly mumbled the words, knowing he wouldn't ever get what he wanted.

"A father that loves his son."

-----------
Haven't done any Draco ones so I wrote this lol XD Sorry, I know it's a bit slow going but I hope you enjoyed it! Also because this book thing is getting a bit full, I'm putting these Oneshot type things in another one called letters to Fred :) please check it out!