Christmas Eve (Lily x James)

Lily and James Potter laughed as they struggled through the thick blanket of white that had covered everything around them and transformed it into the perfect Christmas scene. Godric's Hollow was a sparkling wonderland and icicles and half-built snowmen lined the streets. Christmas lights glowed softly in windows, throwing a thousand colours onto the shimmering snow. The darkness was lifted by the festive spirit and the trees in every house shone through the curtains, reflecting on the ice and making it glitter.

"I love the snow, James." Lily said with a grin as she clutched a baby Harry closer to her chest. Her boots had disappeared beneath the deep snow, and her dark jeans were now soaking wet, but the smile did not leave her face.

"Same here. Always have done. When I was a child I used to go out and play in it all the time but my parents didn't appreciate that," he grinned and pushed his misty glasses back up his nose. "Well, they didn't appreciate the soaking wet socks and pockets stuffed with snow, anyway." Both of them chucked and when Lily shivered, James tightened his grip around her waist.

They continued to drag themselves through the snow until they got to the middle of the cul-de-sac and decided they'd trudged far enough. Their legs ached and Harry's nose was bright red but the view around them was breathtaking. The sound of the church choir could be heard as it echoed down the street and Christmas carols were drifting across the village, almost drowned out by the ringing church bells. Laughter from the muggles, who had gotten a little too tipsy, sounded from the direction of the pub and children giggled as they made snow angels and ran between the trees that lined the icy road.

"I think it's lovely here, don't you?" Lily whispered.

"Yeah, especially now it's Christmas. The guys will love it, when they come!" Lily shook her head and looked up at James. His nose and cheeks were a deep crimson, his glasses were steamed up and a pair of jingling antlers adorned his head. He looked like a fool but he didn't care and Lily loved him more for it. A wreath of silver tinsel was weaved into her own hair and she suspected she looked just as foolish.

"Shut up, you, we've been through this! They can come around as long as we don't have a repeat of last time." She frowned and James bit back a smile.

"A repeat of last time?" He asked innocently.

"You know exactly what I mean, James Potter! When we came home the other month, when Harry had just been born, and you and Sirius started arguing over names or something. You can't have forgotten, he wanted you to call Harry Sirius and you refused...? Come on, its not everyday you see a stag being chased down the street by a big black dog, is it?" James laughed and shook his head, mumbling something and promising it was a one off.

"Well it better be. You'll get us kicked out of the street!" She joked, punching him on the arm softly. Harry stirred and James reached over, pulling the little blanket tighter around his neck. Tiny snowflakes had just started to fall and they were landing softly on their already numb faces.

"His first Christmas tomorrow." He whispered.

"I know, he's going to love it. He might be young but it's his first Christmas with his parents." And possibly the last, Lily thought, but she hastily pushed the words from her mind, horrified it had even crossed it.

"Of course he'll love it. And so will I. And maybe you as well." He winked and took his arm away from her waist, took her free hand and squeezed it. He wanted to tell her how everything would be okay, that they were safe from Voldemort and nothing was going to happen to the little family they had started but it felt wrong. He didn't want to speak of it and ruin the moment. Even though he was sure she was thinking about it too. So instead he stuck with squeezing her hand and planting a soft kiss on her cold, red cheeks and then another on Harry's forehead.

"I think we're going to be happy here," Lily said quietly. Deep down, she was terrified they wouldn't get the chance. Frightened that Voldemort would stride into Godric's Hollow and blast them to smithereens before they got the opportunity to really start their life, but she held her tongue. Not daring to voice her thoughts and worry James even more. Not on Christmas Eve.

James smiled at Lily's words and considered the future with her. A bright future where Harry was throwing enchanted snowballs on Christmas Eve right up until he was told it was dark and he had to come inside. A future where Lily would be baking and he would be wrapping presents, excited to see Harry's face when he tore them open the next day. A future where they were both alive and Harry was happy. He smiled at the thought as he looked down into her green eyes and tried his hardest to believe it. He hoped his sadness didn't show, that she didn't pickup on his worry. He pushed Voldemort out of his mind and pretended he didn't exist, pretended that their every move wasn't tainted with a danger and that every moment they had wasn't fine sand slipping through thtier fingers. It was hard but he forced is aside and imagined the future for a few precious seconds, unspoiled by fear or threat.

Me too, Lily, me too. We will live here until we're old and grey."

---------------

Hope you liked my Jily rambling! The song at the top is just instrumental but I couldn't find a picture and the music is called Godric's Hollow so I just added it. Thank you :))