The Last Night (Small Halloween Special!)

"James?" Lily whispered into the darkness, her cold fingers clutching at the duvet.
"Hm?" A barely audible mumble sounded from beside her, and she bit her lip hard. James was exhausted from stress and completely worn out from the toll of anxiety, they both were, and so guilt pained her as she softly patted his shoulder; waking him fully.
"Lily? What's wrong?" James sat up quickly, his hair a tangled mess, and turned to look at his wife with wide eyes.
"Nothing, calm down! I didn't mean to startle you, I just..." her voice trailed off and James tucked a strand of dark red hair behind her ear, with a smile.
"Just what?"
Lily paused, her cheeks heating up.
"I'm just... scared." Her voice was weak and quiet and she cursed herself for sounding so feeble.
"What of, love? I'm here for you, Harry is next door and we're safe. All of us. You don't need to be afraid," he reassured.
Lily dropped her gaze as James took her hand in his own, giving it a gentle squeeze.
"I know," she whispered. "But I just have a bad feeling tonight. Like something isn't quite right... It's silly, I know. I'm sorry, James."
Strong arms wrapped around her small frame and held her tightly, steadying her shaking hands.
"Don't apologise, never apologise for being afraid. I'm frightened too, Lily, we all are but we can't let that fear defeat us or define us. We are stronger than that, aren't we?" It was a rhetorical question because they both knew the answer. Lily's racing thoughts were silenced with a soft kiss on the nose, from James.
"Harry's going to love tomorrow. Peter, Sirius and Remus are coming and it will be great. It's Halloween, nothing ever goes wrong on Halloween," he whispered as he snuggled back down with a smiling Lily.
"I love you," he mumbled but he received no reply. The room was silent; the only sound being Lily's soft snores. A weary smile crept across his face before he fell asleep; dreaming of happy things and all of the fun they would have with Harry and his friends tomorrow, together and as a proper family.

---
I wanted to write this to wish you all Happy Halloween and in memory of James and Lily
:(
Today is the day James and Lily died, Harry became an orphan, Sirius and Remus lost everything and Snape lost his true love (not that I care about him tbh...) so yeah... Have fun crying about that like me...

Also, I love you all so much! Thank you because we are at 18.5K reads and 1.77k votes!! It might not be as much as some but I am so happy and I really appreciate every single voter, and reader too. Please keep voting ^-^