58

--Three weeks & Five days Later--
--April 11, 2003--
--Saturday--

Remus lupin hit the alarm a little after six o'clock on that Saturday morning. He yawned, sitting up, looking over at the sleeping boy in his own little bed. Remus spent years after the war being somebody's prisoner, just trying to live, trying not to die. Some days, were harder on the man to believe this was real. He let out a sigh and put his finger on the rubber band he wore and give it a pull, letting it hit his wrist. The mild discomfort was nothing compared to what he'd been through, but it helped his nerves and reminded him, he was here and not there.

Today was the day Teddy was born, five years ago. The first birthday he would get to spend with his son, who he watched sleep for nearly an hour, before Lily Potter opened the door to their shared room. "I made breakfast, he loves pancakes." She said, her leg being held onto by her son, Christopher, who had a rosey nose. He wasn't feeling good, not at all. "Okay...We will be down shortly." Remus said softly, before she gave him a light smile and took her boy back downstairs.
Teddy smiled at his daddy when he woke him up. "Hi, daddy." Teddy said and Remus gave him a light smile. "Hey, buddy. Lily made a special breakfast, let's get ready for the day." Remus said. "Daddy, I want to go see Tommy." Teddy said. "Why don't I take you tomorrow? Harry is coming to get your pictures today and your party is this afternoon. Is Tommy not coming to the party?" Remus asked. "He can't...nobody will be able to stay with him. Just him and Mrs. Zee, his mommy." Teddy said. "Well, I suppose...we can go see Tommy for a little bit, I don't want you disappointed." Remus said.

They joined the breakfast table, just Lily and James, because Christopher was back in bed. "What did the doctor say about Christopher?" Remus asked. "Sounds like he has a cold. Tylenol took away his temperature and he's back asleep. I'll have to take him Monday if he is still ill, but she's pretty certain it's simply a cold." Lily pointed out. "What...do you know about tommy?" Remus asked. "Oh! He is a sweet boy, but he has autism. It's a mental and social disorder, I'm surprised Teddy made such good friends with the boy." Lily pointed out. "I don't think I understand the condition." Remus said. "It's hard to explain, just be careful around the boy, is all. You'll learn enough. What brought Tommy up?" Lily asked. "I'm going to take Teddy by there for a bit, before the party. How far-" Remus asked. "Not far at all, just down the block. We can take a walk, I could use some air." Lily said. "Sure, I'd like that." Remus said.

--

The walk was slow, even if it was only a block because Lily and Remus talked a bit hushed, so the small boy wouldn't hear the conversation. The charm were in place, but that didn't make the man feel any safer, but he couldn't keep putting his life on hold, because he did have a son. Lily (and James) thought he should try and find a new partner, but he wouldn't even know how to began at doing that, because of who he was and what he'd been through. He was afterall lonely, but it didn't really seem to important to him, currently.

Lily left, and Remus knocked on the door. It took a couple minutes but the woman, similar in age to Remus and them, opened the door. "Mrs. Zee!" Teddy said. "Hi, Teddy! Tommy's in his room, alright? Just use your quiet voice, okay? Tommy's a bit more sensitive today." She said. "Okay!" Teddy said and he ran into the house and she invited Remus into the house.
She made some tea and the two sat in the living room, as the two boys played in tommys room. "Teddy tells me, he can't make the party? I'm sure...if its sounds, we can find a quite place to be if needed." Remus said. She gave him a light smile. "Lily told me, but it's the matter of nobody being able to stay with him. It's just us." She said. "Your name, implies marriage, dose it not?" Remus said. "I was married, I'd be married...But my husband was killed back in 98, along with my step daughter, but she was killed another time, but I believe it was related." She said. "I'm sorry." He said, but she give a light smile. "Tommy shares a lot of his personality, so he lives on. I only wish I knew why it happened, but 98, wasn't a good year. My step daughter was awfully worried about something, she never shared though." She said. "I see. Well, what about a sleep over? I understand he is special, but...I'm sure it would mean a lot to him." Remus said. "That's sweet, but it's best if not, Mr. Lupin." She said.
They finished their tea, and they went to check on the boys. She didn't seem surprised to see Teddy's hair was changed and Tommy? Was moving his finger in the air, moving some object. She just seemed more worried about Remus seeing the magic her son could do. "Your husband was killed in the war, wasn't he?" Remus asked and after a pause, she had him follow her.
She picked up a picture, a broken picture and handed it over. "All I know...was he wasn't on the good side, but never brought me into it. He only kept around because of the pregnancy, and his daughter needed a place to stay. I'm not... certain she's dead, I just assumed because she disappeared after May. Why...aren't you surprised?" She asked. "Lily, James and I, are Magical, so our most of the family around us. I think you should let Tommy spent the night." Remus said. "...okay." she said.

--

Teddy's party started a couple hours later and of course Harry brought the children over, so their home was quickly fell with the seven young children, the infant boy and the three teenagers, who had some point, went outside form the party. Mrs. Zee, who first name was Mary, stayed, calling in for her shift, worried about leaving her boy in a world she had yet to understand, but Tommy seemed to love the magic shows the quads gave him in a special room and they helped him with his own, so, after the extra gifts left, and the house became there's again, she joined Remus sitting outside. He was looking up at the half moon in the sky, the night was pretty quiet, the three boys asleep.
"Your different then them, aren't you?" She asked. "Yeah, but not something I wish to talk about. I would like to help out with Tommy. He can learn, at his own pace, and always have a friend who understands him." Remus said. "I'd like that...But, About Teddy, it's just you, isn't it?" She asked. "My wife was killed back in the war, it's been a rough few years. I'm just getting back to myself and with my son." Remus said. "I see. Well, thank you, really. Tommy...had fun." She said. "Your welcome." Remus said, and She left Remus to himself to think for the night.