2. New Day ⚠️

⚠️This chapter contains sensitive material, such as history of abuse, panic attacks, and trauma. Read with caution.⚠️
.
.
.
_____________

Lan Wangji woke before Wei Wuxian, as his internal clock ran off the time of the Lan Sect. Up by five and in bed by nine. Curfew starts at eight. Lan Wangji didn't want to have Wei Wuxian follow that too much. He would allow him to sleep more. So Lan Wangji went to bathe and then dressed before preparing a fresh bath for Wei Wuxian. Lan Wangji then went to his bookcase and gathered the Lan sect principles and set them on the desk for Wei Wuxian to learn about later that day. He then went out and got breakfast for the two of them. When he returned, Wei Wuxian was awake, bathed, and dressed. He sat on the bed as if he was waiting for instructions.

"I brought us breakfast, come and eat," Wangji said calmly as he set the food out on the table. Wei Wuxian slowly made his way over and sat down. After he was served he was eating so fast as if it was like he was afraid it would be taken away from him.

"No one will take it from you, take your time. I don't want you to choke," Wangji said softly. Wei Wuxian stopped eating for a moment and looked at Wangji. He gave Wangji a look of surprise. Some food was hanging off Wei Wuxian's lips, so Lan Wangji took a handkerchief and wiped Wei Wuxian's mouth, "It's alright, you can take your time. If you want more, I can get you more," Wangji told him.

Wei Wuxian shook his head, "this is plenty, thank you. I will slow down," Wuxian said. As he said, Wei Wuxian slowed down. After he finished eating, Lan Wangji took care of the dishes and set them beside the door to take out to the kitchen later. He then had Wei Wuxian sit at the desk.

"These here are the Lan Sect Principles. There are a lot of them but you are required to learn them as you are now a member of the Lan Sect," Lan Wangji told him.

Wei Wuxian picked one up and looked at it, "you want me to read all of these?" He asked.

"Yes," Wangji replied.

Wei Wuxian set the book down and placed his hands on his lap. He gripped his robes as if he was nervous about something, "what if...I do not?"

"It is required, and you will be punished accordingly if you do not learn them," Wangji told him.

"What kind of punishment?" Wuxian asked nervously.

"You will have to write them a couple hundred times," Wangji said.

"What if..." Wei Wuxian began but lowered his head. He was afraid.

"You do not have to be afraid, and you do not have to hide anything from me. Be open with me so I know what you need," Wangji said, "it is so I can help you better."

"What if I cannot read or write?" Wuxian asked.

Lan Wangji was stunned speechless. This man in front of him, he was in his twenties like Lan Wangji, and he did not know how to read or how to write, "How did you learn anything as you grew up?" Wangji asked.

"Was not allowed to learn in a classroom setting," Wuxian told him.

Lan Wangji let out a sigh, "will you let me teach you?" He asked.

"What if I fail? I am not good enough. I am not supposed to learn as I am just a servant like my father was," Wuxian told him.

Lan Wangji's heart was breaking more and more for his husband, "we will postpone this for a bit, but will you come with me to the infirmary?" Wangji asked.

Wei Wuxian got very scared, "no!" He said, "they will do something bad to me like last time."

"What happened last time?" Wangji asked.

"I...they.." Wei Wuxian began to panic, and his breathing became shallow.

"Hey, try to breathe, it will be okay. These people here in this sect, they will never hurt you. You are my husband and are protected by my name. No one can touch you," Wangji said.

Wei Wuxian looked at him, "why would I go there?"

"You are new to the sect and have to go through a preliminary check up. It's protocol for everyone who marries in or for anyone who joins the sect. It's a health check, so to say. I will be beside you through the whole thing and I will make sure you are safe," Wangji told him.

Wei Wuxian sighed, "last time, I don't know what happened, but I fell asleep in the infirmary and woke up in pain."

"What kind of pain?" Wangji asked.

Wei Wuxian shook his head.

"It's okay, we can talk about this with the healer. The one you will be seeing is the nicest one we have and he will look after you. Do you trust me?" Wangji asked. Wei Wuxian nodded. Lan Wangji then stood up and took Wei Wuxian's hand. He then led him to the infirmary.

The healer that would be looking over Wei Wuxian was the head healer and was the most knowledgeable within the sect, Healer Lan Kai (Victory). Healer Kai was smart and kind and many look up to him for his advice and knowledge. Wei Wuxian was already scared out of his mind but Healed Kai made him feel as comfortable as possible. As promised, Lan Wangji did not leave. Wei Wuxian answered questions honestly about his health, explaining that he did not get proper health care back in Yunmeng. Healer Kai looked over Wei Wuxian, finding so many scars and old injuries. There were whip marks on Wei Wuxian's back, and this wasn't from any basic discipline whip either.

Wei Wuxian explained anytime he got whipped, it was by the head Madam Yu Ziyuan and she called her whip Zidian. Healer Kai automatically knew what kind of whip that was. Wei Wuxian was so malnourished and he would need to be on a strict diet for a long time. Healer Kai also gave Wangji herbs and tonics that Wei Wuxian would need to take. There was also an ointment that he gave Wangji to apply to Wei Wuxian's back as it will help with the scarring.

What was really concerning was the story of what happened the last time Wei Wuxian saw a healer. As much as Healer Kai didn't want to be too invasive, he asked Wei Wuxian if he could do a full body check. He'd be asleep and wouldn't know what he was doing. Wangji would remain there for Wei Wuxian's comfort. It took some convincing but Wei Wuxian agreed. Upon examining him, Healer Kai had to go through some of his older medical books just to find what he was looking for. He found out that Wei Wuxian had been castrated. Lan Wangji was still in the room but remained behind a privacy screen. Healer Kai explained to Wangji what happened and how it affects Wei Wuxian.

"So he can't get anyone pregnant, is what you're saying," Wangji said.

"Yes, and my guess, Wei Wuxian did not consent to this," Healer Kai said, "this is abuse through and through. This has to be brought up to your brother and he has to press charges for this. This is invasive and illegal. Even with his approval, it is still illegal unless he was prosecuted as a criminal, and Wei Wuxian has no criminal history. This was done by force if Wei Wuxian consented."

Lan Wangji nodded and frowned, "will he be okay otherwise?" Wangji asked, "how can this even be done? Do I want to know?"

"Castration is any action, surgical, chemical, or otherwise, by which an individual loses use of the testicles: the male gonad. Surgical castration is bilateral orchiectomy, while chemical castration uses pharmaceutical drugs to deactivate the testes. Though Wei Wuxian was put to sleep during his castration he had the chemical castration. Chemicals can be a bit painful depending on what was used. It's not pleasant...and as for everything else

"...from what you told me about him not being able to read and write, he might be underdeveloped mentally but that can be fixed through education and patience. It is something I'm sure your uncle can also help with...he will wake up shortly. He probably expects to see you when he wakes up. He will feel a bit of fatigue but it will wear off in an hour or so after he wakes up, just let him rest until he feels okay to move," Healer Kai told Wangji.

"Will you pass his medical report to Xiongzhang?" Wangji asked.

"I will," Healer Kai said and left the two in the room. Lan Wangji sighed as he sat on the bed beside Wei Wuxian. Lan Wangji has never felt so angry in his entire life. Not at Wei Wuxian but towards the people who make him suffer. Lan Wangji was determined to help him recover and get back on his feet.