71. Low Profile

Though news got out about Wen Xu's death, no one suspected it to be Wei Wuxian. They just assumed that Wen Xu underestimated his abilities, or more like underestimating his opponents. It was the morning after everyone arrived and Wen Chao was calling on 'volunteers' to show they have memories the Sect's principles. Wangji, Yanli, and Jin Zixuan were called upon first. Yanli being smart she tells them all one by one with no mistakes made. Of course, she had the guidance of Baoshan so everything she does was from her teachings.

Wuxian was proud of her. Wen Chao though, had the nerve to hit on her. It made Wuxian nervous as he knows how lustrous of a man Wen Chao is. It did not matter if he had mistress already, if the woman was pretty enough in his opinion, he wanted them. Yanli wasn't going to give in so easily though, as she was stronger than him. With her, Wangji and Wuxian being immortals, they were the strongest people there. If Wen Chao tried to do anything inappropriate, they would act out...Wuxian specifically as he was part dragon. Yilin was hard to control at times when it comes to his temper. Though, seeing his A'Jie's virtue at stake, Yilin was even more awakened. He was protective of those he loves, which goes to show how connected he was to his human counterpart Wuxian.

"When Chao, wouldn't your mistress be upset with you hitting on other women?" Wuxian asked. He knows he was pushing it but he couldn't stand by and watch Wen Chao try to put his hands on Yanli.

"It is none of your concern," Wen Chao spat, "You dare talk to me about what I can and cannot do?"

"You want to discipline us for being uneducated but have you ever considered that you are the one who is uneducated?" Wuxian asked, "Karma will come back to those who have earned it."

"Wen Zhuliu, take this disciple to the dungeons, he needs to spend a night there to understand that he needs to keep his mouth shut unless called upon," Wen Chao said.

"Wei Ying?" Wangji whispered.

"I will be okay, just keep Yanli safe, please?" Wuxian whispered back, "I will do what I can to get back to you safely."

All Wangji could do was nod. Wen Chao had the audacity to target the Second Master of Gusu's cultivation partner. Karma will definitely come back to haunt him. Wuxian was dragged down to the dungeons covered in heavy chains. He was then shoved into a cell and the door locked behind him. Wuxian then felt hot breath on his face, the smell of blood, death, and decay reeked from it. Upon getting a better focus on the creature in front of him, it was a large black wolf. Wuxian was paralyzed with fear, but the wolf didn't attack him. Wuxian then realized that it had to do with his dragon. Any creatures like this wolf would not even dare challenge a dragon, even its human counterpart.

Wuxian sat in the corner keeping watch on the wolf across the cell. Even if Wuxian wanted to sleep, Yilin will still be on high alert for him to keep him safe. Wuxian was loving his dragon counterpart, as he should. The two respected each other and trusted one another. As they sat there, Yilin did feel a bit sorrowful as he didn't like being away from Wangji.

"We will see him in the morning," Wuxian said. That was until after about an hour, his cell door opened and another person was shoved inside, "Lan Zhan, what did you do to get here?"

"Refused an order," Wangji replied, "Are you hurt?"

Wuxian sighed and shook his head. He then had Wangji sit against the wall with him to keep him away from the wolf, "The wolf won't come near me, I think Yilin might be the reason for it," Wuxian said.

"Is your fear of dogs going away?" Wangji asked curiously.

"Honestly, Yilin has been helping me overcome that. I do not feel that afraid of them anymore. Though that fear might still always linger, I feel okay right now...Are you hurt anywhere?" Wuxian questioned.

"Not hurt," Wangji answered, "and Yanli is with Jin Zixuan. Though Yanli can protect herself, Jin Zixuan is trying to prove himself worthy of her."

"As much as I hate most of the Jin Sect, Jin Zixuan is not bad. He defended me a couple times and I think he has the right to try to be with Yanli," Wuxian said, "I trust him most with her."

Wangji nodded, "Did you want to try to reach out to Baoshan or do you want to wait it out?"

"I think we should wait it out a bit longer," Wuxian said, "I have a feeling that we may need to keep that option available for the right time. For now, I think we can do this together...I just hope the rest of the Sect is okay, including Ge and Lan Feng, with Haiyue."

"They should be safe," Wangji said, "Last night he set me a secret message saying that him and his wife and child are safe. Shufu is also safe as he is helping the sect rebuild right now."

Wuxian nodded, "We could reach out to Baoshan to help in that regard, but I want to know what Wen Chao is planning. I feel like he has plans and they will be revealed soon."

"We will wait to reach out to Baoshan, if the sect recovers too fast, the Wens might get suspicious and attack again," Wangji said.

"Alright, for now, we keep on being low profile. It is the best we can do...I am sorry I got locked up but I couldn't just stand there and watch that bastard try to put his hands on my sister," Wuxian said.

"I understand why you did it," Wangji said, "if someone tried to do that to you in front of me, I'd react the same way."

"I promise you, I will do everything in my ability to make sure no one touches me other than you," Wuxian said.

Wangji nodded, "Good."