4. Teachings

When Lan Qiren learned of Wei Wuxian's health history and his lack of education he was honestly not surprised. That was because of the letter he received before Wangji and Wuxian married from Wuxian's sworn sister of Wei Wuxian's history with the Jiang family. Lan Qiren at first was okay with teaching Wei Wuxian himself but he thought it was a good opportunity for Lan Wangji to learn about teaching as well.

He handed over some notes and tips to Wangji so he could learn them. It would help Wangji learn how to properly teach Wei Wuxian. Since Wei Wuxian was an antsy person, Wangji had to get creative. Teaching him to read was actually not that bad. Wei Wuxian, at first felt ashamed of his shortcomings but quickly learned that Wangji was not one to judge him. He actually helped him learn and understand a lot more.

"Lan Wangji?" Wuxian asked.

"You can call me Lan Zhan, as it is my birth name," Wangji told him.

"Okay Lan Zhan, can I ask you something?" Wuxian asked.

Wangji nodded, "you may."

"You married someone before me right? Can I ask what happened?" Wuxian asked.

Lan Wangji felt it was best to be honest with him from the beginning. He didn't want any misunderstandings between them, "her name was Wen Tuxi. It was an arranged marriage like ours. The only thing was, I was a bit younger and I didn't want to marry but I agreed as it was for the good of the sect to create alliances. With Tuxi, it would create an alliance with the Wen sect, but I didn't touch her, or kiss her, and we didn't even consummate the marriage.

I wasn't comfortable with her. She tried to pull some stunts by giving me aphrodisiac to try to get me to sleep with her but my brother and his wife were always there for me and watched out for me. My brother managed to get me away from her. He even took me out on a night hunt for a few days to get away from her. While I was away, she invited Wen Xu, first heir of the Wen Sect for a visit and it turns out, they were secretly together. She had intimate relations with him while I was away all through my home. After that, we divorced as she broke the contract. So if she tries to cause trouble for us later, you know that I never did anything to her."

"I understand...but how am I different?" Wuxian asked, "you do not seem unhappy or uncomfortable with me."

"Yes," Wangji replied, "I'm more comfortable with you. We get along well and I like you. You have been through a lot in the past so I am willing to be very patient with you. I want to love and protect you. At first I didn't want to marry again but when I heard about you I got interested. I find that you are very attractive and kind."

Wuxian blushed, "I know I said that I might not ever let you touch me but if you give me time to get comfortable and adjust to my new surroundings and new life here, I will try to compromise for you."

"You do not have to do that if you are not willing," Wangji said, "if you are safe, healthy and happy, that is all that matters to me, everything else will be just a bonus. I also promise if Tuxi comes and tries to pull any stunts, I will always be loyal to you."

"I trust you," Wuxian says, "after all the rules do say that lying is forbidden."

Wangji smiled, "You are a quick learner."

"I am just trying to do what I can to make it easier for you," Wuxian said.

"No matter, if you are struggling, you do not have to rush anything. I am here to help you. It is not a bother to me. I am very happy to help you," Wangji told him.

Wuxian nodded at him with a soft smile. He then went back to doing his lessons. Lan Wangji did like how well Wei Wuxian paid attention to him as he was teaching him. He listened well and he was fast at learning. It took only about three to four days for Wuxian to master holding a brush and writing neatly. Even he does well with his reading. It goes to show that Wei Wuxian was actually really smart.

It was one day, out of the blue, that Wangji asked Wuxian a question, "Can you use a sword?"

Wuxian shook his head, "no, but I can use a bow. During my free time I was allowed to go train in the archery field. I was their top archer and I didn't really have much guidance from anyone. I just observed what others were doing and copied them."

"Have you ever wanted to use a sword and become a proper cultivator?" Wangji asked.

"I have always wanted to be like my parents," Wuxian said with a sad smile, "I do not have much memory of them but I know they were rogue cultivators."

"Do you remember their names?" Wangji asked.

Wuxian nodded, "Wei Changze and Cangse Sanren," he answered, "Cangse Sanren is actually the daughter to Baoshan Sanren."

Wangji's eyes widened, "your grandmother is Baoshan Sanren?" He asked, "and you never met her?"

Wuxian shook his head, "if I had I was very young. Otherwise I have no recollection of meeting her."

"Can I ask, what were your duties in Lotus Pier?" Wangji asked, "were you not adopted by Jiang Fengmian?"

"He wanted to, but his wife made it clear that I would never be her family. She said I was a servant just like my father...I was told my father was Sect Leader Jiang's second or head disciple...is a head disciple a servant?" Wuxian questioned, "I had to help clean and work in the kitchens, and I was even sleeping in the servants quarters. That was what I was, just a servant."

"Head disciples are not servants. They are like any other disciple but they have more privileges and responsibilities. They lead night hunts and help out the sect leader on important matters. You are not and you never should have been a servant. You were disrespected by those people and took away your freedom to follow your parents legacy," Wangji said, "a head disciple is an honorable disciple who works with the sect leader the most. Same goes for being second. It is basically the same. You were treated unfairly, A'Ying."

Wuxian blinked a couple times, "did you call me A'Ying?" He asked.

"Is that okay?"

"No one has ever called me A'Ying, just A'Xian, Wuxian, or Wei Ying," Wuxian told him.

"Well, I will be the only one to call you A'Ying. You can call me A'Zhan if you want," Wangji said.

"Thank you, A'Zhan," Wuxian said, "you have been very kind."

"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to come to me," Wangji said, "I will always be there for you when ever I can."

"I appreciate it," Wuxian said, "you are a lot different from what I was told."

"Told what? And who told you?" Wangji asked.

"Yu Ziyuan and her son Jiang Cheng. They said that being married to you would make sure I remain obedient. They said you are strict like your uncle and are in charge of punishments here. You do not tolerate any mischief," Wuxian said.

"They do not know me then," Wangji said, "yes I am in charge of punishments, but I mostly keep to myself. If you have a playful personality, it is something I am willing to get used to. I do not wish for you to change who you are. Yes there are a lot of rules here but I want you to feel comfortable here."

"I do not try to be mischievous, it's just my sworn siblings always said I have this hero complex and have a tendency of being wherever trouble is. They think I have little value for my own life," Wuxian said.

"Do you value your life?" Wangji asked.

Wuxian nodded, "maybe not as much as I do for those I care about but I do."

"If you struggle with self-worth, then it is something we can help you work on," Wangji said.

"We?"

"We, meaning me, you, and my brother when he can help, and there is the entire Lan Sect behind you now as well," Wangji said, "my brother's wife is expecting a child soon though so we will have to see what happens."

"Really?" Wuxian questioned, "have you ever wanted children?"

"Never really came to mind, what about you?"

"I am not sure, I like kids though," Wuxian said, "the look on their faces when they achieve something new is always something precious to see."

"Maybe, in the future, we can talk about adopting," Wangji said, "for now we can focus on just you and me."

"Okay," Wuxian said.