60. Next Step

Wangji and Wuxian were sitting with Lan Qiren at the Yashi while they waited for Lan Xichen. As they waited, a cute little laugh was heard from outside. Wuxian and Wangji turned to see Haiyue, who was now two, happy as ever and being carried in her father's arms. Lan Feng was right beside them. Lan Xichen set Haiyue down and she went over to Wangji and Wuxian. She actually went to Wangji first.

"Shushu," she says happily and looked at Wuxian, "Gege."

(So I really need some help, I tried searching several sources, would Wei Wuxian also be considered Shushu to Haiyue, or is Gege fine? I'm not native to Chinese so please don't be too hard on me.)

"Hello," Wuxian said and lightly poked the little girl's side. It caused her to laugh, "you have grown so much."

"I have," Haiyue said happily. She then went to go sit down on her father's lap.

"How was your training?" Lan Qiren asked.

"It was challenging...Lan Zhan and I...had a bit of a misunderstanding," Wuxian said.

"It was actually our first fight," Wangji said.

"What happened?" Lan Qiren asked.

"Baoshan has this training room, and it has a simulation of phases to pass. As Lan Zhan and I were training, there were some things that came up. Lan Zhan's energy hardly ever depleted, and he'd get upset with me if he felt I was training too hard. It's not really an excuse but due to my dragon half, my mind started to get clouded with rage and I one point I attacked Lan Zhan," Wuxian explained, "luckily he didn't get hurt but I immediately snapped out of it when it happened. I passed out shortly after and was unconscious for a couple weeks."

"I am hoping everything is better now," Xichen said, "but how does Wangji not deplete energy?"

"It's an ability I have...as you know our mother's history, she was a gifted healer like the rest of her village. I have an ability called absolute life force and it's basically me constantly taking in energy around me. My spiritual energy never depletes and I can pass it over to Wei Ying during combat," Wangji explained.

"Your Mother's history?" Lan Qiren asked.

"I saw it too, Shufu," Lan Xichen said, "Baoshan had our parents memories. She showed us the truth of what really happened...Wangji and I made a vow to make sure it never happens again to anyone else."

Lan Qiren sighed, "I wanted to tell you the truth but I didn't know how...I am sorry."

"Shufu, it is alright," Xichen said, "all we ask is to help us get the justice our mother truly deserves."

"I will do what I can," Lan Qiren said, "for now let's focus on this matter and then we can talk more about it soon."

"Alright," Xichen said.

"Shufu, we also saw Wei Ying's memories. We know everything that the Jiang's put him through. Baoshan is going to be at the trial whenever we are set," Wangji explained.

"That is good to know," Lan Qiren said, "is there anything else we need to know?"

"Jiang Yanli was disowned by her family for helping me," Wuxian said.

"I beg your pardon?" Lan Qiren asked.

"Yanli is a huge reason why I survived all those years in Yunmeng. She helped by bringing me food, and assisting me when I was wounded. Her parents even called off her wedding with Jin Zixuan. Yanli is now officially one of Baoshan's disciples and she wants to stay there. She will come for the trial but otherwise she needs healing too," Wei Wuxian explained.

"What kind of family are they?" Lan Qiren asked, "and Jiang Fengmian just let this happen?"

Wuxian scoffed, "he turned a blind eye to me, why not to his own children?"

"He doesn't do that with his son," Lan Xichen pointed out.

"I think it's because he is the next in line," Wuxian said. He was going to say more but Haiyue was getting antsy. She then moved from her father's lap to Wangji's lap.

She was facing Wangji and placed her hands on his face, "ShuShu, is pretty."

The others laughed, "looks like I have some competition," Wuxian said.

Wangji looked at Wuxian and lightly shook his head, "She is my niece. You are my husband," he said.

"Still," Wuxian said.

"Gege is pretty too," Haiyue said.

"Flatterer," Wuxian mumbled.

"She states the truth," Wangji said.

"Haiyue, did you want to go for a walk?" Lan Feng asked her.

"Okay," She said and left with her mother.

The boys were then alone, "She is too cute," Wuxian said, "makes me want to adopt a child."

"When the trial is over, we can talk more about it if you want," Wangji suggested.

"Really?" Wuxian asked.

"Mnn," Wangji nodded.

"Aside from the trial with the Jiangs, there has been more issues coming out with the Wen Sect. Wen Ruohan has set the discussion conference date which is also the archery competition. When we go, I just ask that you two be careful," Xichen said, "Though, Wen Ruohan has long let our issues pass but that doesn't mean he doesn't hold any grudges. I know Wen Xu is probably wanting revenge in some way for Tuxi."

"We will be careful...though we cannot easily be killed," Wangji said.

"As for the trial, will it be before or after the conference? If it's after we just have to tolerate the Jiangs like we would normally," Wuxian said.

"It's after, unfortunately, but we have the support of the Jiang Sect elders. They have everything set up for us secretly. We'd have to go to Lotus Pier for the trial," Xichen explained.

"I understand," Wuxian said.

"Will you be okay going back?" Wangji asked.

"I don't know, honestly," Wuxian replied, "I haven't been there since I married you."

Wangji nodded, "if you feel uncomfortable at all there, we will work something out. We can find an inn to stay at in the meantime."

"Alright," Wuxian said.

"The conference is in a month, and then two weeks later is the trial," Xichen said.

"I will send notice to Baoshan," Wuxian said, "she wants to be kept in the loop of what is going on."

"Alright," Lan Qiren said.

After the long conversation, Wangji and Wuxian were able to eventually go back to their home. It feels like it has been a long time since they have been back. When the two entered the Jingshi, it was like they never left.

"Home sweet home," Wuxian said.

"I know," Wangji said, "are you tired at all?"

"Not really, but I wouldn't mind taking a nap to be honest," he said, "I don't feel tired but I am a little fatigued."

"Let's get out of these clothes and we can relax for a bit," Wangji said. Wuxian nodded. After freshening up, the two cuddled up in bed for a while. They did end up falling asleep after a little while.